View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Zillode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi Zillode,

I'm seeing many errors I've never seen before. A very stable part of our driver falls over for some reason (this may be connected with the lock), another part is hanging (this is not going to lock, may be a side effect) and you have the most errors I've ever seen in a system log.

In particular the startup is quite worrying, if you look at your system profile in Logs->System.log starting at Jan 27 11:15:21 you can see errors of different kind, in particular network and USB. The USB part is likely caused by VirtualBox, but the network could be VirtualBox or Tap or Synergy that is littering the log with errors.
There is also a WindowServer issue at some point.

Given the amount of third party kexts you have (and 'optional' Apple ones) the first thing I'm thinking about is an SW interoperability issue. My best guess at the moment is that our USB discovery is falling over because of VirtualBox and this will bring down our screen while the DisplayLink frame buffer is still running. This in turn could create trouble to other SW that relies on a responsive frame buffer (Virtual Box again?) and lock everything up.

So what we can do on our side is try Virtual Box on Lion with our drivers. And double check if such a chain of events would be unrecoverable for us.

On your side it would be ideal to try and reduce the number of variables (SW installed) if at all possible.
And one more question: are the lockups connected in any way with power state transitions?
Thanks for the reply,

1) I will uninstall VirtualBox and see if that helps. It could take 2 weeks before I reply as I'm on holidays from next week.
2) Not sure, as the freeze is rather gradually. I first lose my second screen (display with the usb adapter is not getting updated anymore), then the 'clicking' of the mouse is gone together with the keyboard and then everything locks up graphically. I'm still able to connect to my machine over the network via ssh to perform a clean shutdown. I don't think power state transitions are the cause, but I'm not sure.
Zillode is offline   Reply With Quote