View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Good afternoon,

OpenGL is a GPU feature which doesn't apply to the indirect display driver that is the DisplayLink driver since Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
Before Windows 10 Anniversary Update, our driver would see the request and hand it over to the GPU driver because we had a very low level driver. However, in Windows 10 Anniversary Update, DisplayLink driver doesn't even see these calls (and shouldn't have to see them, as they are for the GPU): we get computed pixels, we don't compose the desktop.

We have highlighted that particular OpenGL issue to Microsoft and they are working with the graphics vendors to see how applications can use OpenGL through indirect displays.

In summary, I agree this is an issue with hardware acceleration due to the fact that OpenGL doesn't seem to go to the GPU. I also agree it is seen when using DisplayLink but this is because we led the way in indirect displays and our competitors have not released indirect display drivers yet.
Unfortunately, there is no amount of code in our part which could make DisplayLink driver deal with the OpenGL calls in this OS as our driver doesn't have access to them. I'm sorry I don't have a solution except waiting for MS+Intel+Nvidia+AMD to agree on how they wish to implement OpenGL and OpenGL ES on indirect displays. I'll nonetheless flag the need again to Microsoft when I meet them next week.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote