View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Ashark,

I will try to summarise a bit, explain and set expectations...

You have two different generations of DisplayLink codec. As everything else at DisplayLink, their name starts with DL!
DL2 is the old codec which I believe is open sourced now. This is not my expertise, so I may be wrong.
DL3 is the more recent codec. It's obviously better and is proprietary as we need to protect ourselves from copies.
The old generation of devices using DisplayLink DL1x5 chip will be using DL2 codec. If you wish to tinker with the driver, you should take that. They are USB 2 but can handle 1080p comfortably.
The newer generation of devices using DisplayLink DL-3000 series and above are using DL3. The chip is USB 3 but also works in USB 2. (It's even in the USB Gold Tree used to test the testers...).

For the resolution you want, you can use either generation. Here is a table of what DisplayLink chip support as resolution. The manufacturers might add components altering the resolution capability so you should look at the finish product datasheet, not only the chip datasheet... The same way looking at a microcontroller datasheet doesn't tell you how it's used in a particular application.

We've been providing drivers for Ubuntu, but as you indicated, they can be ported to other distros. It is however not something we can support: we are a small business and Linux is a minority of the user base.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote