View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #10
davss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech73 View Post
I think this is a bold and brazen assumption. I think anyone who is persistent enough to want multiple M1 monitors is probably the kind of person that wants to have their monitors exactly the way they want them, and rotation is NOT uncommon and unless you have done a survey of all of your users, this is an assumption you should not make. Also, this kind of response does not build good customer relations. You've basically said "yeah, you're weird, no one does what you want, so quit complaining. Your most vocal advocates are often those people that want very particular solutions. Your devices by their very nature are niche, so please I would ask you to refrain from downplaying the needs of your most ardent advocates, who have stuck with you through an entire year of "we're working on it". If you wish to survive, you must to better. I've had my left monitor rotated for years as a files display while editing video (where I need vertical landscape, not horizontal). It's been very frustrating to be strung along this long and then basically patted on the head in a patronizing manner. Do better.
I also agree. Jakub, it's happened before to us when DL didn't update drivers for over 8-9 months leaving customers with no ability to connect to external monitors AT ALL when upgraded to the latest macOS version. We had to downgrade and stay on specific version with no ETA from DL when you'd fix it. This also had security implications i.e. running OS X on an unpatched version just to be able to use external monitors. 1-3 months we can live with it but more or no ETA is simply unacceptable and soon or later DL will find yourself out of jobs becuase people will be fed up and simply buy hardware capable of running multiple minitors natively. I was already there and switched to MBP 16 becuase of it. Unfortunately, that Intel MBP was a piece of c and bad hardware design with multiple issues hence sold it on after a month of use. However, should DL fail again I'll be switching from my MBA M1 to the new MBP 16 M1 Max without any hesitation thus ditching completely DL from my setup. I've had my monitors vertically most of time purely for reading techniical documentation, web development and terminal operations. After DL failure to provide this feature have had to rearrange my setup, change my desk for wider to be able to use them in horizontal mode. I'd still go back to vertical as soon as this feature is back working.

I'm currently using Dell 49" connected/charging my MBA M1 (macOS 11.6.1, DL 1.4.0) via single USB-C. 3 other Dell 2515H via DL adapters are connected to USB ports on this Dell 49" so all 4 monitos are simply receiving video from a single USB-C cable that's also charging my MBA M1 on one of the two available USB-C ports. This has been working beautifuly most of the time but every time macOS update comes out it's a very stresful lottery as I have no guarantee DL will still work on it... so rolling back updates and loosing almost a day to set up again my working environment is a massive waste of time. I have a strategy now to wait until someone confirms critical things in DL are working fine but it's never a guarantee as every setup may differ. I also don't understand why DL are not developing against Apple's beta or other releases for other web developers in order to make their software compatible and ready for the new release? Also, why don't we have a central dashboard on this forum pinned to the top simply stating what will work and break in developed by Apple updates (my attempt was here but it always gets pushed further and further down: https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh....php?t=67606)?.This would let customers know what to expect e.g, in the next macOS update or major upgrade and that DL are still working to fix each issue with an ETA instead of allowing cusomers to be their guinea pig and waste their valuable time?

Cheers,
David

Last edited by davss; 11-03-2021 at 04:31 PM.
davss is offline   Reply With Quote