View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #77
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Here is an answer with numbers taken using an Intel 6th generation Core m5.
Measurements were automated with moving cursors, moving windows, browsers... to make them repeatable and comparable.

From 8.0 to 8.1, the CPU usage was decreased by ~20% during idling and moving mouse cursor.
From 8.1. to 8.2 M3, the CPU usage was decreased by about ~25%, in conditions like moving browsers.
From 8.2 M3 to 8.3, the reduction is about ~5% with applications and web browsing.
The work continues for 8.4 and beyond. We're doing both short term and long term investments.

Interesting find about the transitions (and things like that in browsers). I don't believe the issue is with the UMDF, but could be OpenGL pass-through not working correctly on Windows 10 indirect displays. Microsoft is pushing hard to get engagement with Intel but Intel has been unresponsive.
This means that some activities which could be hardware accelerated are done is CPU. This stays on the agenda of my weekly call with the MS graphics team. Microsoft or DisplayLink have no intention of giving up!
The next step though will be OpenGL ES to be optimal on browsers like Chrome and their WebGL. That engagement is also in progress.

For the video conferencing, I think this could potentially be something else. You need to do real-time transcoding. In a use case like that, the bottleneck might be around memory bandwidth (moving data). There's work ongoing on video playback too.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution