View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #80
CSystems

Default Windows 10 Insider Preview Redstone 3 - Key Performance Upgrade

I wanted to post a reply to this thread that I've been watching for almost a year now. As many of you have experienced, since the Anniversary Update (v1607) of Windows 10, and now the Creators Update (v1703), performance over DisplayLink has been very poor.

Although improvements have been made through various driver releases, they never could reach the performance seen with Threshold 2 (v1511) of Windows 10.

To make this short, on the advice of a support representative of one of the major suppliers of docking stations running DisplayLink technology, we tested the Windows 10 Insider Preview (which is deploying the Falls Creators Update or v1709) as word was Microsoft had made a change to the driver framework that might help. I'm happy to report that indeed the Insider Preview for the Falls Creator Update of Windows 10 is showing some drastic difference in CPU utilization in comparison (both on 8.2 M3 and 8.3 M0.)

We've done some extensive testing and it looks like the performance is now more inline with what was experienced in v1511.

The only bad news is you'll have to wait until October for the official release as Microsoft delayed the intended release a month to work on some additional issues.

For those that have been holding off from going from v1511 to v1607 or v1703 because of this issue, I hope this is as much of a relief for you as it is for us. This is especially important because Microsoft will not release any new security updates for v1511 past the final cumulative update slated October 10th.

I also hope DisplayLink continues to work with Microsoft in regards to the Driver Framework changes they introduced back with v1607. It's very possible that what was introduced then will reappear down the road with any future upgrades.

Thanks

C