View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #3
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb View Post
Agree completely

Can someone from DisplayLink comment on whether we can ever expect solutions to issues that seriously degrade the quality of the experience on Mac?

Mirror mode not kept after restart...
Clamshell mode requires a monitor to be connected to built-in port...
No 3D (OpenGL) acceleration...
Colour calibration does not work...
Corruption around window edges...
Missing UI elements in the menu bar, Maps & iBooks...

And that's not to mention implementing per-display functionality like brightness and rotation on my MB168B+

Thanks,
JDB
Hi JDB,

I can only give limited information however it's a very fair question.

The items you mentioned fall into a few categories, starting from the easiest:
1) Things that DisplayLink could do:
- Colour calibration
- Brightness from SW

2) Things that are not meant to be on the platform
- Clamshell with only third party screens

3) Things that used to work and are broken in 10.9 and 10.10
- Layout persistence
- Rotating the correct screens
- Missing UI items
- Corruption around windows

4) Things that have never been working completely and are even worse in 10.10
- 3D acceleration (this could be causing some corruption/UI problems as well)

In terms of what we can do..
Following the Apple Developer documentation we could really only do (1). As you may know, OS X is the only major platform without a DDK (Driver Development Kit) for graphics and this makes everything very difficult and risky.
So when the OS introduces bugs like the ones in (3) we have a difficult situation.
However it's now pretty obvious that fixes are not coming quickly and we have been working on workarounds for (3) for a while. We have to be careful because the risk is to introduce kernel panics but I'm confident we can improve quite a few (3) items soon.
(4) is a notch up from (3) and affecting it would need some pretty risky interaction with the OS. However the SW renderer in Yosemite is quite hopeless and it may become even worse so I don't exclude us having to oust it.
(2) is a kind of third party utility feature in my opinion. It's something we may investigate though.

As the Yosemite bugs demonstrate no Company, not even Apple, has an infinite number of people to work on their products.
Prioritisation is very important and I'd welcome your input.
Personally, as a Yosemite user, I'd prefer DisplayLink to work on 3,4,1,2 in that order.

Comments welcome!

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote