Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
jkirker
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 40
Default

Was the driver signing was just a convenient excuse?
jkirker is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
mentalengine
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Thumbs down So now....

Now that we can all see the smokescreen. Anyone thinking of alternatives? I am looking at the Matrox Dual Head ME. Thunderbolt 2 monitors. Sounds promising. Here is a link for info I found. http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pr...go/digital_me/

I am still secretly hoping the DisplayLink product on the Mac side will stop getting the step child treatment and take a proper priority spot in the support queue at DisplayLink, however if history is a good indicator of future behavior, this will prove futile.

Anyone at DL want to tread into the water a bit here and throw us an update?
mentalengine is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
JoshFink
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Even though I would like an updated driver I'm able to use this with OSX 10.9 DP6 on a 2013 MacBook Air. I would say my 2nd monitor through a Plugable USB3-HDMI-DVI adapter is functional but with a little lag. I'm also using this monitor in a vertical mode. 1080x1920. Since I use this 2nd monitor for email and such it's not a huge deal.

I would however love some beta drivers that might get rid of the lag and get me the experience I'm looking for.

Thanks

Josh

UPDATE:[ Of course, after I post it something happens and things start to suck again. Way too laggy to use. Disregard the above post.

Last edited by JoshFink; 08-30-2013 at 01:35 AM.
JoshFink is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Wim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,561
Default

Hi All

I'm supposed to be on holiday at the moment, but wanted to give you an update from us.

We got the signatures we needed a few weeks ago, and have started doing a test on the beta before release, but this got slowed down, as we had to release v7.4 for Windows 8.1. I'm afraid Windows does still come first as this is what our big customers push us for first.

Anyway - test had started, but found problems with more than 1 DisplayLink display working on some Macs. This has been investigated and believed fixed, but want to do a few more days testing to be sure. The additional good news is that the delay has allowed some good Ethernet connection stability fixes, that was affecting the Mac 2.0 software, to be fixed as well.

We will have the beta available by 9th Sept, and if testing goes well with the current fixes, it may even be next week.

Wim
Wim is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
MickM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 52
Default

So this is certainly some good news, although not being upfront about the delay didn't win you any customer service points. My main fear is that we'll finally get a crack at this driver and uncover something Apple need to fix right around the time they they let the cat out of the bag (I guess that pun doesn't work anymore). Once that happens there'll be a tidal wave of feedback from the world in general and you can bet DisplayLink won't get any love for the next 6 months at least...

I still don't see why you wouldn't release what you've got - we can always go back to the previous driver if we don't like it and you get our feedback for when you get the chance to play with the code. I'm having several different issues (including lagging) in 10.9 enough so that I'm willing to try anything to get an improvement.

BTW: the next time you take a vacation, you need clear it with us first ;-).
MickM is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
JoshFink
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Well, that's some good news at least.

I had to roll back to 10.8.4 today as it's just too hard working with extreme lag and trying to get anything done.

I look forward to getting word that the drivers at least put us back on par with the 10.8 features.

Thanks
JoshFink is offline  
Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Wim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,561
Default

Please now use the Mac 2.1 beta forum for 10.9 issues. This thread is now closing.

Wim
Wim is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
ehendrix
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalengine View Post
Now that we can all see the smokescreen. Anyone thinking of alternatives? I am looking at the Matrox Dual Head ME. Thunderbolt 2 monitors. Sounds promising. Here is a link for info I found. http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pr...go/digital_me/
Problem I see with that solution is as far as the Mac is concerned it is only 1 display, not 2.
ehendrix is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
ehendrix
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi All

I'm supposed to be on holiday at the moment, but wanted to give you an update from us.

We got the signatures we needed a few weeks ago, and have started doing a test on the beta before release, but this got slowed down, as we had to release v7.4 for Windows 8.1. I'm afraid Windows does still come first as this is what our big customers push us for first.

Wim
Hey Wim,
First of all .. enjoy your holiday.

I would however also agree that some kind of update from DisplayLink would be helpful. Just stating what you just did helped a bunch of people here knowing that something is being done. Last we heard was that there was a wait for the signing due to the Apple site being down. But this was quite a while ago now.

I would also say that you might find that most people in here are rather savvy. I would not suggest putting a pre-Beta on the download site but maybe posting a link here in the forum instead with the caveat that this would be more like pre-beta but not alpha. As a minimum we can provide some feedback and as mentioned before we can always go back if it really fails.

Hoping this is at least considered.
ehendrix is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
JoshFink
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehendrix View Post
Problem I see with that solution is as far as the Mac is concerned it is only 1 display, not 2.
I've tried this and returned it. While it's super smooth the one big desktop is a pain when you try to go full screen. You also are stuck with both screens being horizontal.

Wasn't optimal bit honestly it's better than a laggy mouse.

Last edited by JoshFink; 09-05-2013 at 08:05 PM.
JoshFink is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.