Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #11
AlbanRampon

Hi Rheco,

Could you please try the following in a command line and tell me what is the result:
cmd /c ver
cmd /c ver | findstr "6.1 6.2 6.3 10.0"

After this, please try:
1- Disconnect your dock
2- Run the End User Cleaner with Run as Administrator.
3- Connect the dock and wait. It should download the drivers from Windows Update. Is it installing this way?

I don't see any rule failing in the DisplayLink logs, so I looked at the Installer logs. The file is called setupapi.dev.log. In it, you can see line 466 that the installation proceeds with version 7.9.1488.0. This is 7.9 M5, the same version you get the error message from!

On another side, what is surprising me is that this installer says "Upgrade" in your screenshot. If you ran the End User Cleaner, there should be nothing to upgrade from as there is no DisplayLink driver.
Are you executing the End User Cleaner as an admin. This is important to Run as administrator as even an admin launching the command will NOT launch it as admin by default.

On a third front. There is a Windows utility called System File Check (SFC). This allows to look at the Windows installation itself and it checks for corruption.
You can execute it in an elevated command prompte with sfc /scannow. Does it give you anything? Unfortunately, not finding something doesn't mean everything is good. Also, it sometimes tries to correct things and this is not always enough...

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 AM   #12
Rheco

Morning!

The first command comes back with - Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586].

The second command comes back with exactly the same as above, maybe I am doing something wrong here, I typed it out exactly as you put it.

I tried as you suggest to try and get Windows to push the installation - nothing sadly. I followed your steps exactly quite a few times, just to be sure.

Quote:
On another side, what is surprising me is that this installer says "Upgrade" in your screenshot. If you ran the End User Cleaner, there should be nothing to upgrade from as there is no DisplayLink driver.
Are you executing the End User Cleaner as an admin. This is important to Run as administrator as even an admin launching the command will NOT launch it as admin by default.
Yes, as I did state before, on the particular screenshot I was showing, it stated that because I was trying to install M5 OVER another, older, working version. But, this exact same message appears even if I do a COMPLETE fresh install. So, take that screenshot with a pinch of salt and just apply it to the two variations please.

As for running as Administrator - I have done this every time.

and just to finalise the sadness of my response. SFC came back all clear.

Back to you arampon! and sorry!
Rheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #13
Rheco

So, I fixed it!

Sorry arampon, this appears to be completely my end.

I installed some software and in doing so it managed to change certain aspects of PATH and PATHEXT in Environment Variables!

The incredibly odd thing about it was, that I installed this software almost a week prior to the issue occurring, but 'assume' that Windows update caused the problem to become more apparent as it then could not find the correct variables.

Upon returning the missing PATH variables and extensions, a restart, a fresh uninstall and then an install of M5 - everything worked.

My apologies again for running you around the block - sadly, because of the delay in the issue, I was not able to associate that change with the issue I got with the display.

Maybe for anyone in the future with a similar problem can check that any recently installed software changed these variables.

Thanks for all your help.
Rheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #14
AlbanRampon

Excellent news Rheco. Congratulations. That wasn't an easy one.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
win-10-build-10586.164