Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #71
Ruud

Default 2 external monitors without using HDMI port?

Hi James and DFollis,

(just got back from holidays)

I'm curious: how do you connect 2 external monitors without using the HDMI connector?
My model has 1 HDMI port and 1 DVI port.
Do you use the mini DisplayPort on the laptop itself?

Last edited by Ruud; 07-29-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo
Ruud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #72
william5849

That's what I did. I have the Surface Pro. One monitor on Mini Display and the other using the DVI on the Dell Dock.
william5849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #73
Ruud

Default Not using HDMI port works?

Hi William5849,

Thanks for replying. What do you mean with 'Surface Pro' and do you thing no using the HDMI port is helping remove (or lessen) the blackouts we are experiencing?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #74
polarlo

Default 13" XPS and D3000

I am also having the same issues. Frequent outages with the dock (monitor goes black, network stops, USB devices stop). Computer and dock are less then a week old. Software was installed before the dock was plugged in.
polarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #75
Splinx

Default Same problem here - two Dell XPS13" + 2 D3500V

Hi Guys,

I have the exact same issue in my office with two ultrabooks and two dell D3500V units. Occasionally both suffer drop-outs on network and monitors and both have ery slight stutter with the mouse.

Latest drivers, firmware, intel chipset and vga drivers installed.

I am surprised about how long this thread is and how long it is taking for a solid answer to be forthcoming. As far as I can tell the logs are not yielding any valuable information - DisplayLink, please confirm on this point.

What should we all do - return the units and if so can you please confirm what unit we should purchase directly from you to gain two monitors out and no blank screen drop-outs?

This really is such a shame because, aside from this devastating issue, the product is good.

Thanks,
Splinx
Splinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #76
JamesH

Hi,

Can you post the debug logs so I can see if this is the same issue that Ruud is having?

See this link for how to gather the logs:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #77
rtozer

I recently bought a Dell XPS 13 with a Targus dual display dock (through dell, but not branded).
I was experiencing the freeze issue described here, though mine never came back by itself once frozen. Screens, sound, ethernet, USB devices all frozen. Unplugging and replugging the usb cable usually reset it.
It always happened when opening a new tab in chrome and occurred a few times a day.
It was particularly likely to happen if I mouse wheel clicked a link to open in a new tab on the laptop display and then moved the tab to a displaylink display before rendering had completed.

I disabled GPU compositing and threaded compositing in chrome://flags and the problem hasn't occurred since. I've since reenabled threaded compositing and still no freeze.

Perhaps this will help others with the problem, and/or the developers.

Further info:
Running Win 7 Pro
I plugged in the dock without installing drivers, it attempted to install drivers itself which failed.
I then used the disc which came with the dock, which completed with warnings but after a restart all device manager warnings cleared.
I downloaded the latest firmware and displaylink drivers, both said I already had the latest installed.

All was working fine till yesterday when I installed the latest Intel HD 4000 drivers.
I still don't have the freeze issue, but now rendering gets badly messed up if I scroll a page (in any app), and overlays flicker badly and/or disappear (image alt text etc). Turning GPU compositing back on didn't resolve this.
The scroll issue makes the displays completely unusable.

edit:
Update - having windows install the HD 4000 drivers seems to have resolved the issue, right click - update driver software in device manager, as opposed to downloading and installing from Intel's site. Same driver version, but all scroll and overlay flickering is gone.

Last edited by rtozer; 08-08-2013 at 03:26 PM.
rtozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #78
Ruud

Default Trying out new mini displayport cable

Hi everyone following this thread,

I bought a mini displayport - DVI-D cable following the advice posted earlier.
Just started using is, no black-outs/freeze-ups so far.

All the days before I had several black-outs per day, which is getting really annoying especially if sometimes I need to restart my computer and or loose my work because of connection problems to servers i'm working on!

So I hope this works.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #79
Ruud

Nooooo, just had my second blackout after switching to mini-displayport cable. So unfortunately that didn't do the trick..
Going to try the Chrome://flags tip next
Old 08-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #80
Ruud

BOOM: another black-out: disable Chrome://flags GPU setting doesn't work for me