Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2024, 06:01 AM   #1
simonc

Default which one to pick....

I have a UD-ULTC4k
I also have 3 external 4k monitors that can pretty much connect using DP, DP over USB-C (not supported with my dock) and HDMI.

I have an upcoming laptop replacement for which I need to choose my platform (Chromebook Elite DragonFly or a MacBook Pro 16 inch M2 (might be M3 depending on available inventory at the time of refresh).

My current test machines are a Chromebook HP X360 and a MacBook Air M2 against which I tested the dock.

issues: my X360 when 3 monitors are connected is only able to output 60hz to two of the 3 monitors on the dock (I can use DP over usb-c without hz issues).

on my MacBook Air m2, I can get all 3 monitors going at 60hz, however I am experiencing lag on the display link side for mouse movement (one display more than the other for some reason). I can however start 4 (1 internal + 3 external) 4K test videos from YouTube and lag is very hard to notice (it really is mostly associated with the mouse not being smooth).

sorry for the long post...

so the question is, can anyone tell me purely from an external screen point of view if I should go Chromebook or MacBook (I can't get them to test to make my decision easier).

if you are reading this, I appreciate it. Feel free to chime in.
simonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chromebook, macbook, three 4k monitors, ud-ultc4k