Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 12-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #1
steven-

Default Question about DisplayLink Manager requirement for macOS

I have a Dell Docking Station (D3100) and have been using DisplayLink Manager on macOS for a while. I used to have two monitors, and the DisplayLink Manager enabled me to connect two monitors at the same time with my MacBook Air (which is something Apple disabled). So I was under the impression that it is only required if I need to connect more than one monitor.

Right now, I'm only using one monitor with HDMI, I found that all my connected USB-A devices still works with my MacBook without the DisplayLink Manager, but I still have to run it to connect it to a monitor.

Is this normal? So you must run the DisplayLink Manager if you want to connect your MacBook with a monitor? What if I use DisplayPort instead of HDMI?
steven- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 10:35 AM   #2
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

If you are connecting your external monitor to a DIsplayLink-enabled video port then DisplayLink Manager has to be running. The same thing will happen with DisplayPort and HDMI. If you were to connect the monitor directly to your computer or a docking station/video port that does not use DisplayLink technology then DisplayLink Manager would not be required. As the video ports in D3100 are DIsplayLink-enabled they need DisplayLink Manager to run fr them to work. In case of any additional questions, please let me know!

Thank you.
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote