Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #341
Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaskingaquestion View Post
I have one of the newest MBP 15in with TB3 ports, and I've been sticking with MacOS 10.13.3 ever since this problem emerged for fear of losing my display. Looking into it again, I see some confusing reports about whether this problem only exists for older models or if it is an issue for me as well. Can somebody help clarify?

I have

2017 MBP 15in with 4 TB3
Dell P2715Q 4k display, though I've been running it at 2560x1440 because everything is too small otherwise (I've only ever connected to this display via DisplayLink so I don't know if directly connecting gives me any more flexibility here)
I also use DisplayLink for mouse/keyboard/ethernet
I used to use DisplayLink for audio, though I've found that to be a very poor quality connection, especially when the computer is doing any heavy lifting.

With this setup, if I upgrade to 10.13.4 or later, will I still have to use the workaround via AirDisplay? If so, will I be able to use 2560x1440?

If I am limited to 1080p, does anybody have any recommendations for alternate hardware/hubs that can meet my needs in newer MacOS? When I bought this late last year I thought DisplayLink was the ticket, but maybe not?
Of course you can connect your 4k display directly to the Mac either via TB3-to-DisplayPort or TB3-to-HDMI dongle. It gives you more flexibility and probably a higher refresh rate at 60Hz if you choose DisplayPort. Adapters can be purchased from Apple or 3rd party vendors via an online shop of your choice.

If you upgrade to 10.13.5 (.4 is deprecated) and you still want to connect your monitor via DisplayLink then you won't be able to run your screen at 4k or hi-dpi scaled resolutions (e.g. 2560x1440). The current beta driver is a poor workaround and provides only two inferior options, clone mode and extended (2nd) AirPlay display that is limited to 1080p – a terrible resolution choice for a 4k display. Other ports such as USB, Ethernet and audio won't be affected after upgrade.

Last edited by Poly; 06-12-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:46 AM   #342
jac43

Angry still can't connect to Mac

Just updated my OS in the forlorn hope this issue would be fixed. Seems though Display Link doesn't have an Apple ID. Also, the options in the Settings/Privacy no longer allows for the use of non-id software/apps though the apple website shows that it can :-( Macbook Air 1914.

I purchased the Asus USB display for use while travelling - time to discard I am sad to say.
jac43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #343
Schrooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The current beta driver is a poor workaround and provides only two inferior options, clone mode and extended (2nd) AirPlay display that is limited to 1080p – a terrible resolution choice for a 4k display.
you can use an external app to set the resolution of your 4K display. Its not limited to 1080p. Works great on my macbook air with an external fujitsu display.
Schrooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #344
alex-swiftify

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrooten View Post
you can use an external app to set the resolution of your 4K display. Its not limited to 1080p. Works great on my macbook air with an external fujitsu display.
Which one?
I am yet trying to figure out a workaround to achieve a native (1366x768) resolution for the ASUS MB168B display, while the closest I can get while holding down the Option key inside System Preferences -> Displays is 1024x768.
Tried SwitchResX, as well as the following guide with no luck so far.

P.S. Tools like RDM or DisableMonitor also do not list the native 1366x768 resolution:
http://take.ms/ISfgM

Last edited by alex-swiftify; 06-12-2018 at 09:51 AM.
alex-swiftify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #345
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Update: June 12th
Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

Installing macOS 10.13.4, or newer, will cause DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS update when using DisplayLink driver v4.1. Extended displays continue to work as expected in macOS 10.13.3 and below.
Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected.

DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 5 currently provides an interim solution with one extended USB display (720p or 1080p) on macOS 10.13.4, 10.13.5 and 10.14 first developer preview, using Apple AirPlay® on machines with that feature. All additional DisplayLink screens will be cloning the primary display.
An FAQ details how to enable Apple AirPlay with DisplayLink display for extend or mirror mode.

Our team made solid progress towards finding a solution which would restore full extended display support for multiple DisplayLink displays in a future release of macOS. As daily users of the technology ourselves, we truly understand how disruptive this loss of functionality affecting the full ecosystem can be. Despite getting close to being able to communicate more about progress and roll out, we are still unable to provide a time-frame or a date for release of this solution today. We will provide an update on this thread as soon as we are able.

Thank you for your extended patience. We appreciate your feedback and support.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #346
donluca

Dear Alban,

thank you for the update. I'm using the latest beta on Mac OS 10.13.5 and it's working and I can finally extend my desktop again.

I still have one major issue, though: There are no ways to rotate the screen and I have my screen in portrait mode.

I have tried everything, pressing CMD+Option while clicking monitor, using external softwares, etc..., to no avail.

One of the software I've used said that the monitor didn't support rotation which is not true because before I could rotate the monitor without problems.

Please try looking into this, although I'm afraid this could be an Airplay limitation.

Thanks
donluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #347
AlbanRampon

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donluca View Post
Dear Alban,

thank you for the update. I'm using the latest beta on Mac OS 10.13.5 and it's working and I can finally extend my desktop again.

I still have one major issue, though: There are no ways to rotate the screen and I have my screen in portrait mode.

I have tried everything, pressing CMD+Option while clicking monitor, using external softwares, etc..., to no avail.

One of the software I've used said that the monitor didn't support rotation which is not true because before I could rotate the monitor without problems.

Please try looking into this, although I'm afraid this could be an Airplay limitation.

Thanks
Thank you for your message DonLuca,
Unfortunately, you are correct and rotation is not available on AirPlay.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #348
Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Thank you for your message DonLuca,
Unfortunately, you are correct and rotation is not available on AirPlay.
Hello Alban,

if you eventually roll out that precious fix, will it still be utilizing AirPlay i.e. no rotation?

Did the team have a chance to speed up progress by attending WWDC?

Keeping fingers crossed for a soon fix!

Old 06-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #349
Mr.T.

I installed the 10.13.5 today and I am able to use AirPlay now, where as before DisplayLink would not show up in the list of AirPlay options. Still not the solution I was hoping for, but it eliminates the extra cable running to my MBP for now.
Mr.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #350
rmandelbaum

Is there a email list to get on so we know when it is released?

Also if I were using Apple displays would this work without the driver.
rmandelbaum is offline   Reply With Quote