Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
wmldwilly

Thumbs down yet another blank screen(s) post

Laptop: Asus N550, the 16" internal touchscreen equipped model with all USB3.0 ports and dual graphics (intel and NVidia)

Complete success with Windows 8.0: using SIIG branded and Iogear branded usb-dvi and usb-vga adapters, for 1, 2, or even 3 external ELO 1739L touchscreens and/or multiple ELO 1900L DVI touchscreens, or mixtures of both.

Update to Windows 8.1 *before* updating displaylink drivers to 7.4.

complete failure - same as many other forum posters, external screens are available to the OS, but only display a black image. I additionally know the monitors are functioning because the touch surfaces are all recognized and inputting as expected. extended desktop of the full compliment of monitors is even viewable with VNC clients, but the displaylink USB adapters themselves produce "no video input" to the monitors - the backlights illuminate a black raster.

Upon the RAREST occasion when switching from MIRRORED to extended desktops, the external displays hosted by displaylink adapters will momentarily come to life and show the cursor, then return to black again.

I've followed the uninstall/reinstall/run cleaner/verify the PID is not 8060 or whatever the undesireable number is square dance ad nauseam for hours and hours, and have been unable to produce successful operation of the displaylink adapters. Moving all of the displaylink adapters to any given windows7 machine I have running shows that they function perfectly.

This issue happened and never went away upon the very first restart from installing windows 8.1. All pertinent updates have been applied up to today (dec. 1) and the problem remains.

output from the displaylink debug tool is attached.

You cats have an 8.1 problem, and 7.4m2 and all the hocus pocus uninstall/reinstall dances aren't getting it worked out.

Attached Files
File Type: zip INV2-ASUS-GMA2_20131201_154441.zip (895.0 KB, 1 views)
wmldwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
wmldwilly

update by me, the original poster:

With respect to this particular laptop with two onboard GPUs (Intel 4k and nVidia), disable one or the other in device manager - displaylink usb adapters begin outputting video again.

To revise my earlier statement:

You displaylink cats have a problem with dual GPU machines and Windows 8.1, no matter how many times you ask the user to uninstall/reinstall/check PIDs/check lists of compatibility with USB3 controllers/etc.

Perhaps investigating why (gpu=2)=(displaylink= ) vs. (gpu=1)=(displaylink= ) would be a fantastic place to start debugging?

Thanks…we would all be really exited about that.
wmldwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
luiset83

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmldwilly View Post
Upon the RAREST occasion when switching from MIRRORED to extended desktops, the external displays hosted by displaylink adapters will momentarily come to life and show the cursor, then return to black again.
I noticed that exact same issue as well on Windows 8.1, and my laptop has Intel & NVIDIA cards (Optimus). My (temporary) fix was to download 7.4M0 and that made it work again, but 7.4M2 fails pretty much in the same manner as yours does.

Link for 7.4M0 to see if it makes a difference: http://displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=98
luiset83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

This should be fixed in the next release due out early December.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote