Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
tddk

Default Touchpad errors with 7.5 M2 update

Sony Vaio Pro 13 (SVP1321C5E) running Windows 8.1 Pro with a Fujitsu PR08.

Been running 7.4 software successfully for months. Today updated to the new version 7.5 as I was notified in the system tray.

Now when I plug in the PR08 the mouse cursor blinks on and off continually, CPU usage increasing, cursor responding erratically to touchpad movement, for 3-4 minutes until cursor disappears entirely. Only way to recover is to unplug the PR08.

Using Synaptics 17.0.9.1 drivers Aug 2013 (most recent official from Sony).

I have gathered support files using the DisplayLink tool, but I'm not sure how to send to support.
tddk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
tddk

Update to this.

Uninstalled and installed 7.4 M4, but the issue persisted.

Uninstalled and installed 7.4 M2, and the issue is resolved.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
tddk

Argh, just gets worse and worse. With 7.4 M2 installed, every time I reboot, and connect the PR08, the bloody program starts an automatic update, that I can't stop. It has already updated the software by the time I'm prompted for agreement to the license agreement, so even if I click "cancel" at that point, the update installer has already updated core software to 7.5.x.

Have to then uninstall and reinstall 7.4 M2 again fresh.

What URL is this thing checking? Must block this piece of s-- from dialing home.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
tddk

Anyone know how to block DisplayLink from auto-updating? Have tried to block various displaylink.com and .org in hosts file, but doesn't seem to do the trick.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
luiset83

Is it actually phoning home as opposed to pulling the drivers from your local system? Try the cleanup tool here:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=297

If that leaves behind something (it shouldn't), you could try RAPR to manually do it:
http://driverstoreexplorer.codeplex.com/

If it actually is updating from online, try installing Wireshark to monitor your traffic, you should be able to figure out what address it's looking up and block it that way.

In case it's old drivers related, try either the latest generic Synaptics v17.0.19:
http://www.synaptics.com/en/drivers.php

Or latest I could find Synaptics v18.1.3.0:
http://www.station-drivers.com/index...sion-18.1.3.0/

You might want to check that those drivers above have the hardware IDs for your particular touchpad in their *.inf file(s) before you install them, if you try going that path to potentially fix it.

Last edited by luiset83; 04-07-2014 at 12:50 AM.
luiset83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #6
tddk

Have used the cleaner after each uninstall.

I've run Wireshark, but I don't see any calls, and it's likely because of timing. When the PR08 is plugged in, it immediately gets Ethernet, and before I can start Wireshark on that interface, it's already off and running.

I unfortunately have not been able to experiment with disabling Internet further down the chain, to see if it would still succeed, but worth a test.

But, another update on this problem: I have a PR08 at home where it's connecting to an Eizo SX2762W via DisplayPort where I have these cursor issues.

Coming into the office today, I have another PR08 connecting to an older Eizo via DVI, and there I don't have the cursor issues with 7.5 M2.

So it's likely a DisplayPort related issue. Will try connecting via DVI to the Eizo at home later.

Also discovered another wonderful new issue: on the 7.5 M2, if Windows power saving kicks in and turns display off, the display doesn't come back up, and I have to unplug PR08 and hard shut down the laptop to recover.

Man, which I hadn't updated to 7.5.. If it ain't broken...
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tddk View Post
Sony Vaio Pro 13 (SVP1321C5E) running Windows 8.1 Pro with a Fujitsu PR08.

Been running 7.4 software successfully for months. Today updated to the new version 7.5 as I was notified in the system tray.

Now when I plug in the PR08 the mouse cursor blinks on and off continually, CPU usage increasing, cursor responding erratically to touchpad movement, for 3-4 minutes until cursor disappears entirely. Only way to recover is to unplug the PR08.

Using Synaptics 17.0.9.1 drivers Aug 2013 (most recent official from Sony).

I have gathered support files using the DisplayLink tool, but I'm not sure how to send to support.
Hi,

When you reply to this post please select the "Manage Attachments" option from the "Additional Options" section (under the Message field). From their navigate to your support files and hit Upload.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
tddk

Have sent support files as PM, as our corporate security policy prevents me from just sharing here on the public interwebs.

If you need anything else, let me know!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
JamesH

Hi,

From a look at your logs you appear to be set to Notebook monitor off.

There was an issue with the mouse cursor disappearing in this mode which was addressed in 7.5 M2 (available here http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php)

Let me know how you get on with that.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
tddk

But this whole thing concerns the problems which exist in 7.5 M2.