Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #91
Beaker

coming up on my deadline to return my displaylink device, i think i'll just return it and wait a year or two until there's a product available for usb 3 on linux
Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #92
sandule

Default :mad:

I joined just to post this.

I purchased my USB 3.0 docking station just because it said it had Linux support. I have been trying to solve this myself for a while now and now I can't return my product because the 7 day grace period is up. I have also been told that DisplayLink's false advertising is not enough for them to return my product and that I should take it up with DisplayLink. I say it is time for a class action lawsuit for false advertising.

It is companies like DisplayLink that give Linux in general a bad name as people think this limitation is an OS limitation.

Last edited by sandule; 09-13-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #93
sandule

I have written to a popular technology news source about the issue and that they should make this very public knowledge to discourage people buying USB 3.0 DisplayLink products.

Hopefully this will be brought to the public eye and it will force DisplayLink to get off of their lazy asses.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #94
Lope

We need to get the word out that Displaylink are as bad as Nvidia. They only pretend to be linux friendly. Its fake. They actively try to prevent developers from figuring out how their devices work.
Look how many years we have been without drivers and see what the Displaylink hackers (who are really responsible for creating the linux drivers available today, that still don't support most devices properly) have to say.
http://displaylinklinuxdriver.wordpress.com

Displaylink have never created a linux driver of their own accord. They released a piece of junk calling it 'open source' that still contains closed source blobs. They even still tried to encrypt it. When hackers had already figured all that stuff out. Displaylink did not help with any of the challenges that still remain.

Displaylink's approach won't change until the situation changes.
The community needs to actively get involved and tell people about Displaylink's real nature. And boycott their products until they open up their specifications to allow linux support.

Last edited by Lope; 09-13-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #95
ThePhi

Thumbs up

I've seen this portal to post crowdfunded projects of development,
Are there some motivated programers who would be interested in trying to develop an application for all the people dying to see their USB 3.0 working with Linux?
I'm sure the total amount of money assembled here could be quite high!

http://funding.openinitiative.com/
Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #96
mnemonic

I'm very disappointed. I've spent 4 days trying to configure displaylink on linux to extend my desktop on Ubuntu 13.04.
No way.

I'll never buy a DisplayLink product anymore, until I see a decent Linux driver for my DL-195.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #97
michaelmitchell

Default Argh!

Registering my disappointment for lack of USB3.0 support in Linux, 80% of people I know who use multiple displays are Linux users as average Joe windows user usually has very little use for a second display, software developers like myself on the other hand will use as many as they can get their hands on.

I would love to use a portable USB monitor with DisplayLink but until there is Linux support it is not an option.

I would be willing to pay for this, why not start a crowd funding and see what result you get?

But do it soon please.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #98
genfish

I would also like to register interest in support for this. Could it be devloped without HDMI DRM support for now?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #99
ctw

Default Please add Linux support

I bought the USB docking station under the impression that I could use it with an external display under Linux. Am very disappointed in Displaylink ... please fix this!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #100
xork

Default Extremely disappointed!

Very sad.. checking in on this issue after I received a dock through work 5 months ago. All this because according to DisplayLink, they need to ensure content protection remains secure under an open source environment. To hell with the greed and DRM! If someone were to crowdsource a solution, I would throw my money at it.
Closed Thread