Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
PiCkLeS

Default DL-3xx support - this is to you, DisplayLink.

So.. Despite my age at where I should know better, im getting a bit furious about the silence to your customers that are stuck with devices that wont work on new Macs (i bought a new one unknowingly that now has USB3).

I quite understand the time frame to try to resolve and restructure a new driver.

I understand all about how long a project of this magnitude can take.

What I _dont_ understand and very rarely have come across, is a professional and respectable company that chooses to say absolutely nothing during the process.

No updates, not even on a monthly basis. Not even to just say, ok guys we have this and that problem - this one might be even impossible to climb and so on.

So. This is us, the customers, the ones Im hoping are of some value to you as we buy and therefore supply you with your income.

Will you _please_ let us know whats going on, even if its bad news?

//P
Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
Wim

Hi All

We now have a demo of the new 2.0 Mac driver and it is being shown at CES 2013 in Las Vegas. We also press released this last night:

http://www.displaylink.com/news/pres...wer.php?id=136

So support for our USB products is real, and if you're at CES, you can see the demo at our booth in the USB techzone.

Before releasing this to the public, there are a few bugs we need to fix. These are major issues that wwill mean the driver will just not work at all for some users at the moment. We also want to add rotation support, which is not currently supported, as many users use our devices rotated.

Also, just to set expectations, the first alpha will support up to 4 screens of video using the DL-1x5 and/or DL-3xxx chips (any USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 product on the market today). Audio out may or may not work, depending on the version of OSX and if you are using USB 2.0 or 3.0. Ethernet connections from the DL-3xxx docking stations will not be supported by the alpha.

I expect we will be able to close out the remaining issues and add the feature support, and provide an alpha by the end of January.

Wim
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
Leinad

D... that took you some time.

But Wuuhoo !

Great news.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #24
nostack

Lightbulb Alpha Tester Ready

Hello Wim,

I can be an alpha test for you, my setup are:

MacBookpro Retina
2 Extra Monitors
Startech USB32HDDVII (DL-3900) [No audio no Network]

Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi All

We now have a demo of the new 2.0 Mac driver and it is being shown at CES 2013 in Las Vegas. We also press released this last night:

So support for our USB products is real, and if you're at CES, you can see the demo at our booth in the USB techzone.

Before releasing this to the public, there are a few bugs we need to fix. These are major issues that wwill mean the driver will just not work at all for some users at the moment. We also want to add rotation support, which is not currently supported, as many users use our devices rotated.

Also, just to set expectations, the first alpha will support up to 4 screens of video using the DL-1x5 and/or DL-3xxx chips (any USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 product on the market today). Audio out may or may not work, depending on the version of OSX and if you are using USB 2.0 or 3.0. Ethernet connections from the DL-3xxx docking stations will not be supported by the alpha.

I expect we will be able to close out the remaining issues and add the feature support, and provide an alpha by the end of January.

Wim
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
Dan
Banned

Once we've fixed the most obvious bugs that will annoy you and you'll all complain about, there should be a beta available...

Development is certainly revealing an 'interesting' aspect of the OSX USB 3.0 support.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #26
Neo42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Once we've fixed the most obvious bugs that will annoy you and you'll all complain about, there should be a beta available...

Development is certainly revealing an 'interesting' aspect of the OSX USB 3.0 support.
I've been lurking for several months and decided to register to convey my thanks for the update. Demand for Mac USB 3.0 drivers is really great and I personally would love, love, love to have them. We value the ongoing work and dedication to supporting multiple platforms. Here's hoping for a speedy beta release.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #27
dlee96

Quote:
Hello Dan,
There are many satisfied DisplayLink customers, and a number of vocal dissatisfied customers. You probably get a disproportionate number of dissatisfied customers on this board, looking for solutions to the problems that will inevitably crop up trying to support a spectrum of hardware and software configurations.
The tone of your message isn't what I consider to be constructive. I hope that future communications will be more considerate of the many satisfied customers and the legitimate struggles of some users.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #28
nostack

Exclamation

Quote:

Dan,

If these bugs are things like rotation support, audio or ethernet connections, must of us do not care for an beta version of the product.

Just release as soon as possible to us to test and comment.

We have macs running with USB 3.0 more than an year with PCIe cards and an long time with the hottest notebook in the market. Everybody wants multiple monitors in theirs rMBPs, even not thought thunderbolt, the better option still you, but you need to go fast.

Alternatives are coming...
Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
DonaldDuck

Wim, thanks for the update!
This is exactly the kind of info I was waiting for: Statement of intent & an anticipated near-term schedule (which is obviously not a ironclad commitment, and that's absolutely fine).

Dlee96: I understand you didn't like the tone of Dan's post above; frankly, I don't think it's that objectionable, but even if it were, I'd rather have unsanitized direct info from the people working on the product than just a vague press release (and this being a forum, it should be informal).
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #30
fawkea

I just bought one of the adapters with the DL-3500 chipset not knowing there wasn't any support for Mac! I really cannot be bothered with all the hassle of sending it back, so I'll most likely just keep it and wait for the drivers to be released - hoping it's soon since it was shown at CES!
Closed Thread