Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Doobywho

Default Crashes and monitor issue

Everything was working fine with 10.7 and then we upgraded to Mountain Lion and the issues started. We've tried reinstalling the driver several times and we've even wiped the computer and reinstalled osx a few times. Issues always start after installing the displaylink drivers.

Issues we are having:
- When the login screen appears, it appears on the 3rd monitor (displaylink monitor) but that monitor doesn't turn on until after you login so we can never actually see the login screen. we just have to type the password in and press enter. No it is not set to be the primary monitor.

- Finder crashes consistently. Anytime you try to do anything that uses finder, it crashes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (2.77 MB, 3 views)
Doobywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
ChristianP

Thanks for your report.
Do you see the login issue at boot or after logging out from a previous session?
The Finder crash is quite weird. Could you please post the Finder crash log? The file should have name Finderxxx.crash and it should be located in the ~/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder. Thanks
ChristianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Doobywho

The login issue happens anytime the login screen should appear. Fresh boot from shutdown, sleep, restart, logout, etc. Will post the finder crash log in a bit when I can reinstall the driver and have my computer go crazy
Old 07-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Doobywho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianP View Post
Thanks for your report.
Do you see the login issue at boot or after logging out from a previous session?
The Finder crash is quite weird. Could you please post the Finder crash log? The file should have name Finderxxx.crash and it should be located in the ~/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder. Thanks
Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Finder_2012-07-28-073455_Kristinas-Mac-Pro.crash.zip (14.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
hughfletcher

Exact same issue as Doobywho.

Upgraded to Mountain Lion, used your newer 1.8 driver, now no login box...ever. Thanks to his suggestion I can still just type my pass and get in.

Once there, Finder crashes every time.

2012 13" Mac Pro.
Using the Diamond BVU195.

I never found a Finder crash log as you asked from the OP.
I did find various crash logs in /Library/Logs/CrashReporter and Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports. Attached are those.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip Archive.zip (587.5 KB, 0 views)
hughfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
VA2SS

Same thing here !!! If I ever been informed BEFORE upgrading that I got such trouble, I will probably wait a little longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfletcher View Post
Exact same issue as Doobywho.

Upgraded to Mountain Lion, used your newer 1.8 driver, now no login box...ever. Thanks to his suggestion I can still just type my pass and get in.

Once there, Finder crashes every time.

2012 13" Mac Pro.
VA2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
vraopolisetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA2SS View Post
Same thing here !!! If I ever been informed BEFORE upgrading that I got such trouble, I will probably wait a little longer.
I have the same issue and had to clean install Mountain Lion twice trying to figure out what was going on with the blank login screen. V1.8 driver not only corrupts the Finder but also system preferences and iPhoto.

Both the times, I installed the latest driver from Display Link website that they claim to have been working for Mountain Lion as well. I could not even remove the driver as it was crashing the Finder again and again.

Macbook pro early 2011 13 inch.
Display adapter: BVU195

Unless some one confirms this is working on Mountain Lion, I am not going to install that driver again on the mac.

Hope Display Link will fix the driver and does some tests before they release it to the general public.
vraopolisetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
hughfletcher

Jacks up watching anything in flash as well.

Despite not having Finder to uninstall the driver if you go into your Applications folder and in the DisplayLink folder you can uninstall it from there.

Hope that helps, I hate hearing people had to wipe their boxes clean and reinstall. That would suck. I would think DisplayLink will be all on this, it's pretty messed up. Be nice if I could my second monitor back up too.
hughfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
longst

Default I have same problem

I try to installed Mountain Lion from a clean harddisk. And install Display Link Driver right after mountain lion completely installed.

Afterward, if I reboot machine, login screen would not appear.
if I set machine to automatic log, after I log in, despite displaylinke video adapter works, some App stop working or crash, for example, Finder would be "no response" Adobe Flash player stop working, (browsers would not be able to play flash any more, I tried Safari and Chrome), event worth, Macbook regular crash to reboot.

Wish DisplayLink will fix this problem soon.
longst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
jdmueller84

I am having the same problem. Everything worked fine in 10.7.3 and when i upgraded to 10.8 weird things started happening. After days of troubleshooting I found out it was the Display LInk drivers causing the problems. Finder crashing, apps not installing, dmgs not mounting/unmounting, ect are just some of the weird things that would happen.

I feel like I spent a decent amount of money on these adapters and 2 extra displays that I now cannot use. Does display link have a fix for this?

Do they even acknowledge the problem?

What the hell is going on? You have users over here spending hours and days troubleshoot your crap drivers when you should have released the 10.8 version FULLY TESTED, which you in fact did not. Also, I would like to note there is nothing on the drivers download warning us of this problem. I spent countless hours of my life troubleshooting a problem I thought to be 10.8 related and it turns out it is your crap software/drivers.

So when is this going to be fixed DisplayLink? Are you going to offer replacement hardware to people to fix this? WHEN will this be fixed???? I am starting to get really pissed off with DisplayLink. I also purchased two 14" external displays for my laptop which I haven't tested, but probably have the same issue.

WTF???? I expect more out of a company than this. If you can afford to mass product a product, you sure as hell should be able to test it properly instead of release it to your users and making us as your beta/alpha testers on YOUR hardware. Last time I checked we weren't getting any credits or refunds for troubleshooting YOUR crap product.

Fix this IMMEDIATELY.
jdmueller84 is offline   Reply With Quote