Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #21
tfeng1

Default Cannot even use word

I just join the family of usb to hdmi. I have had two screen and use DisplayLink to add another rotated screen specially for writing.
The delay can be tolerated. But I cannot use word and did not find any similar issues yet. Anyone knows how to solve it? Thanks a lot!

I attach the screen for word, which shows very unusable.

macOS 10.12.4
iMac 27'', late 2013
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 4.06.32 PM.jpg (4.8 KB, 2 views)
tfeng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #22
Bertus

Default quick update

my bugreport has been picked up @ bugreport.apple.com, i've been requested to do a sysdiagnose & send it up to them. will do so when i'm back in office tomorrow
we'll see where it goes from there...

p.s. just read about the SMC reset option ('ve been out with a bug myself the last couple days) will give that a go as well

Last edited by Bertus; 04-09-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Bertus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #23
Bertus

Unhappy SMC reset not a fix

SMC reset does not fix the problem for me unfortunately...
Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #24
dlgrue

SMC does not work for me.

Disabling 3D acceleration for my Parallels Windows VM does work, if you can call it that. It's incredibly slow and not a real solution, but it may help point to the root cause of the problem.

@Carlo you said that the DisplayLink team currently can't reproduce the problem after SMC. Can you confirm whether or not you're doing any testing with Parallels VMs, or only native host windows?
dlgrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #25
Carlo
Mac Team

I have not seen differences between running a Parallels VM or VLC or Word or the other affected applications: they're all affected in a similar way at the same time.

With Parallels I've tried a VM with Windows 7 on it.

After the SMC reset I still have no reproduction. We've been trying hard on a few systems but cannot find a way to re-introduce the issue.

Regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #26
Carlo
Mac Team

Wait wait wait I've got it back.
If I turn on "Automatic graphics switching" off in the Energy Saver preference, I can reproduce the issue. Turning it on again resolves the issue the next time the window is on the DisplayLink screen.

Point is, we already tried playing with this setting before the SMC reset and it did not make any difference either way. Definitely an inconsistency about deciding which GPU or SW renderer is rendering which buffer.

So YMMV but it would be interesting to know if any affected system on the forum does NOT have a discrete GPU.

Will update Apple with the finding.

Kind regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #27
richfbrown

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro 15" with two identical monitors connected, one via the miniDisplay port and one via the USB port using DisplayLink. Several applications, including Word 2016 and Parallels desktop exhibit extremely slow response on the DisplayLink-connected monitor, but are fine on the other monitor. I have file bug report 31605058 with Apple. This started happening after installing MacOS 10.12.4.
richfbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:29 AM   #28
jonathondw

Default SMC did not seem to work

So I am running dual 32" Planar PXL3280W monitors with a resolution of 2560x1440 on each monitor. when using the monitors I have issues with all my windows on either screen changing to full white boxes. it normally happens when scrolling a web browser or moving windows around on the screen. I also have issues now since upgrading to sierra 10.12.4 with windows being scrambled this issue seems to occur with applications that are using graphic acceleration or 3d as i see it when using my video conferencing application and Autocad. Prior to the last update from APPLE i did not have issues with either application.
jonathondw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #29
Bertus

just checked the auto graphics switching option; it doesn't seem to influence the scrambled screens for me unfortunately, that is on my 2012 non-retina mbp with dual graphics (NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB)

ps, my bugreport is still open after having supplied a sysdiagnosis
Old 04-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #30
Bertus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoston View Post
Engineering has determined that your bug report (31397880) is a duplicate of another issue (26394372) and will be closed.
same here, my bugreport got squashed, due to being a duplicate. bugreport 26394372 is still open... i'm still hoping this issue will be fixed when 1.12.5 will be released (don't really have the option to try out beta's here)