Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #71
Tweak3D

While 8.2 M0 on windows 10 1703 is much better than before, its still basically unusable anytime video content is being displayed. If I am on a conference call using Cisco Jabber or Webex my CPU pins it self to 100% usage and makes everything like a slideshow. Screensharing does not have this effect. If I hide the video window, CPU usage drops back down to a much more reasonable level.

If I use a non-displaylink dock there are no issues. This has been tested on several vairants of Dell and Microsoft devices all with the same impact. using a higher end device with a top of the line I7, SSD, 32gb ram results in the same 100% cpu usage.

This was not a problem before anniversary update or back on windows 7.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #72
Patty

8.2 M1 works great for me, CPU dropped significantly.
Thanks.
Machine is Dell XPS 13
Old 05-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #73
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Patty and all,

We are delivering incremental improvements based on use cases reported at the time.
Some will see change, and some won't. That seems a better approach rather than not delivering anything to anyone when we have something beneficial to distribute.

8.3 will be bringing additional improvements in some use cases. There are also others planned for 8.4.
I'm trying to get an 8.3 Alpha version made available early June to get feedback on this, and other items. At that time, I'll create a dedicated forum board and post here.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 07-17-2017, 11:20 PM   #74
kkris

Default CPU load

Hi

I have read the many posts about the WUDFHost.exe causing a high CPU-load and since I have this issue I have already tried like everything:
- Cleaning up the display link drivers
- Installing older versions of the display link driver
- Reinstalling all kinds of drivers
- and so on and so on...

I think this problem came up after the recent windows update last week, but I am not 100% sure.

My issue:
I am using a USB 3.0 docking station by Lenovo (ThinkPad USB 3.0 Ultra Dock, Driver version: 8.2.1952.0, but I have already tried with 8.3 too) and via HDMI I have connected a monitor to it. When I remove the HDMI cable from the docking station, the CPU-load goes down and the fans are going back to a normal noise level again. What I have also recognized is that when I stop "explorer.exe" the CPU-load of "WUDFHost.exe" goes down too (to around 0.2 - 0.8%), even though the HDMI cable is still connected to the docking station and the monitor is still working. When I close the most CPU-consuming "WUDFHost.exe" the load goes down as well but this time it (of course) detaches the monitor.
"Windows Explorer" and the "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process" are together using around 50% of the CPU when the laptop is connected to the monitor through the docking station.

My hardware & OS:
Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 900-13 ISK
OS Version: 1703
OS Build: 15063.483
Docking Station: ThinkPad USB 3.0 Ultra Dock

Any help would be highly appreciated! Thank you and have a great day.

Cheers,
Kris

Last edited by kkris; 07-17-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #75
kkris

Default Still not solved

Hi,

Yesterday I downloaded this version again:
DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows - DEV BUILD NR-135298-LS-1 (8.3.1852)

First nothing changed but then, after a few minutes, all of a sudden the CPU-load went down. Both for "explorer.exe" and "WUDFHost.exe". Today the CPU-load is going crazy again: Both processes consume around 50% together. So I am back to where I was.

UPDATE:
I just disabled the visual effects in windows and the CPU-load went down immediately. Does this mean that the docking station + the display link driver does not work well when the visual effects are enabled?
This is my setting for now but I will keep an eye on it to make sure if this really was the solution to switch to "Adjust for best performance":

Cheers,
Kris

Last edited by kkris; 07-19-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #76
Tweak3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkris View Post
Hi,

Yesterday I downloaded this version again:
DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows - DEV BUILD NR-135298-LS-1 (8.3.1852)

First nothing changed but then, after a few minutes, all of a sudden the CPU-load went down. Both for "explorer.exe" and "WUDFHost.exe". Today the CPU-load is going crazy again: Both processes consume around 50% together. So I am back to where I was.

UPDATE:
I just disabled the visual effects in windows and the CPU-load went down immediately. Does this mean that the docking station + the display link driver does not work well when the visual effects are enabled?
This is my setting for now but I will keep an eye on it to make sure if this really was the solution to switch to "Adjust for best performance":

Cheers,
Kris
This helps a little bit, but it is part of a bigger problem. we've found that pretty much any app that uses fades, transitions, or animations can bring the driver framework (and thus displaylink) to its knees. Its really unfortunate there isn't a good fix though at the moment though as we heavily rely on video conferencing and the experience is pretty much that you get choppy video and cannot really do anything else with your machine.

Currently trying out the 8.4 alpha, and its not much difference performance wise on the machines i've tried it on which is unfortunate.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #77
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Here is an answer with numbers taken using an Intel 6th generation Core m5.
Measurements were automated with moving cursors, moving windows, browsers... to make them repeatable and comparable.

From 8.0 to 8.1, the CPU usage was decreased by ~20% during idling and moving mouse cursor.
From 8.1. to 8.2 M3, the CPU usage was decreased by about ~25%, in conditions like moving browsers.
From 8.2 M3 to 8.3, the reduction is about ~5% with applications and web browsing.
The work continues for 8.4 and beyond. We're doing both short term and long term investments.

Interesting find about the transitions (and things like that in browsers). I don't believe the issue is with the UMDF, but could be OpenGL pass-through not working correctly on Windows 10 indirect displays. Microsoft is pushing hard to get engagement with Intel but Intel has been unresponsive.
This means that some activities which could be hardware accelerated are done is CPU. This stays on the agenda of my weekly call with the MS graphics team. Microsoft or DisplayLink have no intention of giving up!
The next step though will be OpenGL ES to be optimal on browsers like Chrome and their WebGL. That engagement is also in progress.

For the video conferencing, I think this could potentially be something else. You need to do real-time transcoding. In a use case like that, the bottleneck might be around memory bandwidth (moving data). There's work ongoing on video playback too.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 08-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #78
Manuel

Just got a new Dell Latitude E7480 with a D6000 docking station. And then I had to find about this annoyance.
Playing full screen video on my external 2560x1440 monitor is with one exception impossible without getting eye cancer because of stutter, tearing etc.

For detailed log see attachement.

1. Windows 10 Build Number
W10 1703. But it was the same in the previous version. I only got the update to 1703 today and even did uninstall DisplayLink, used the cleaner and reinstalled. No difference.

6. The value of CPU being used.

?

7. What happens on ALL indirect displays (indirect = through USB). If you have Task Manager on an indirect display, then it is NOT idling as content changes!!! This is really one of the most important point. Here are some examples:
7a. Content fully static: nothing changes at all, and I mean nothing, not the clock, not the mouse pointer.

Actually with a cursor blinking and the clock changing every minute, the CPU load is 1%, just as expected for an idle system.

7b. Some little area changes: like for instance you only have some numbers on the clock or the numbers in Task Manager.

With the task manager maximized and high update frequency, CPU load is 7% with the CPU graph and 10% with the detailed process list.

7c. Only the mouse pointer across indirect displays. (if you do this, please do NOT use the mouse trail accessibility feature or this is the same use case as 7b).

6-7%

7d. Moving a window. Indicate an idea of the size of the window... I mean moving a 10x10 pixels windows is obviously fundamentally different to moving a 4kx4k one.

Standard CMD window 20%. Explorer with file list about half the size of the monitor: 20-40%, depending on speed.

7e. Playing video on VLC

Standard settings: 70% but choppy, laggy playback with tearing.
With OpenGL as output renderer the playback is almost ok, but CPU goes up to 90% total.
Other renderers are not a noticable improvement in playback quality.
With MPC-HD all renderers yield bad results.
Interestingly the built-in Windows 10 player ("Filme&TV" in German) and the WMP both manage to play the video fine, since they seem to use incredibly little CPU for playback, around 5%. Still WUDF uses about 40%. Total is between 40-50%. Looks like with these players, the PC isn't choked, but it is still unacceptable.

7f. Playing video on a browser (and the value is constant across browsers). Our driver CANNOT differentiate which browser is playing.

Firefox and Chrome both choke with 90-100% load when playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eminWvN1O88. Playback quality is unacceptable.
Edge seems to cope well. 50-70% CPU load and playback is not as back as with the other browsers, still it is not as good as playing a local copy. But still MS software seems to use a different pipeline than other programs. And while this mitigates the issue, it doesn't solve it.

7g. Game, full screen or windowed? Games do NOT use the same as video playback.

No games available, but just zooming in Photoshop CS4, which is OpenGL accelerated, yields 30+% WUDF load.

Overall the issue is proportional to the amount of changed screen estate. Playing videos in smaller windows works. Using the mouse sometimes feels like dragging it through honey when the system is peaking.

So, when can we expect usable drivers? The reports are going on for months and DisplayLink isn't around since yesterday. I'm using the latest release drivers and there aren't even newer alpha or beta drivers to test. We were promised the devs are working on the issue, but I've yet to see any breakthrough on the issue. Please don't test this with external FullHD monitors and announce that everything works fine. DisplayLink advertises 4K@60 and I assumed this included changing screen content, not static images.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NEURO-HEWITT-NB_20170821_143640.zip (489.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #79
Manuel

Updated to 8.3.1905.0. Still the same bad performance.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:31 PM   #80
CSystems

Default Windows 10 Insider Preview Redstone 3 - Key Performance Upgrade

I wanted to post a reply to this thread that I've been watching for almost a year now. As many of you have experienced, since the Anniversary Update (v1607) of Windows 10, and now the Creators Update (v1703), performance over DisplayLink has been very poor.

Although improvements have been made through various driver releases, they never could reach the performance seen with Threshold 2 (v1511) of Windows 10.

To make this short, on the advice of a support representative of one of the major suppliers of docking stations running DisplayLink technology, we tested the Windows 10 Insider Preview (which is deploying the Falls Creators Update or v1709) as word was Microsoft had made a change to the driver framework that might help. I'm happy to report that indeed the Insider Preview for the Falls Creator Update of Windows 10 is showing some drastic difference in CPU utilization in comparison (both on 8.2 M3 and 8.3 M0.)

We've done some extensive testing and it looks like the performance is now more inline with what was experienced in v1511.

The only bad news is you'll have to wait until October for the official release as Microsoft delayed the intended release a month to work on some additional issues.

For those that have been holding off from going from v1511 to v1607 or v1703 because of this issue, I hope this is as much of a relief for you as it is for us. This is especially important because Microsoft will not release any new security updates for v1511 past the final cumulative update slated October 10th.

I also hope DisplayLink continues to work with Microsoft in regards to the Driver Framework changes they introduced back with v1607. It's very possible that what was introduced then will reappear down the road with any future upgrades.

Thanks

C
Closed Thread