Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 04-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
MichaelTech

Default Windows 8.1 network issue

Hi team,

we have a 2 ASUS HZ-1 docking stations. I installed the latest network and graphics drivers on one Windows 8.1 laptop. Everything works fine on DHCP. If I need to set a static IP address, I can do that as well, but then can't switch back to DHCP. This affects all ethernet interfaces. If I go to Network Setting -> IPv4 it doesn't show the static IP address.
I confirmed on a second laptop with identical setup, that it only happens after I install the DisplayLink drivers.
The only way to get that ethernet interface working again is to delete the device in device manager and rediscover.
Please help as this is really annoying.

Cheers
Michael
MichaelTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Wim

I've raised this as a bug for our team to try and reproduce.
Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
MichaelTech

Default Any luck

Hi wim,

any luck with reproducing?

I can provide some more information, e.g. model laptop, other NIC drivers, work around.
Laptop: Acer Aspire V5 (571PG)
1x Broadcomm WLAN
1x Realtek PCIe LAN

Once the DisplayLink driver is installed, all NICs are affected by the described behaviour.

Workaround is to go to DeviceManager, Delete the NIC and rediscover it. After that the NIC is back to DHCP, the static IP is deleted.

Hope this helps.
MichaelTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Rene
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello MichaelTech,

We are trying to reproduce this issue, but we would like to have more information about the problem you are facing.
When the issue occurs, and you want to switch back to DHCP, is there an error message displayed, if so, can you post this message here?
In case there is no error message, can you provide the exact steps you take to come to the issue?

Thank you in advance,

Rene
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
rboerner
Super Moderator

Default Possible fix?

I've had good luck with this fix, normal warnings about messing with the registry apply :-)

1. First while logged in as a user with Administrative priviledges, open the Windows Registry Editor by right-clicking on the Microsoft logo in the lower left-hand corner of the desktop and selecting Run. Type 'regedit' (without the quotes) and click OK
2. Navigate to the registry key --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Network
3. ** IMPORTANT Right-click and select Export on the key so you have a backup in case something goes wrong **
4. Delete the binary value called -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Network\Config
5. Reboot the PC and test the network connection again.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
dreafara

i was facing a similar issue and I did the same procedure which I got from MS support: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/937056

The point for me is a little bit differnt.
I can now set up again a fix ip configuration on both wifi and displaylink ethernet but they are not working.
instead the DHCP config on the wifi (built-in the laptop) is working, but on the ethernet not.

I still think that is something in the displaylink driver that is screwing up the windows network configuration and there is no way to correct even unistalling the device and the drivers.

The trick of removing the registry key is letting you gaining back control on the tcp/ip settting, but there is no way to fix the issue on the display link ethernet device.
dreafara is offline   Reply With Quote