Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-02-2015, 07:13 AM   #1
jbringer

Default System Tray Icon Disappeared after Win 8.1 update

Hello,

I have a serious problem. On my Vaio Laptop I did the very last Win 8.1 Update.
Since there the display link system icon disapeared and cannot be reactivated. If I try to reactivate it in the system tray it says "Symbol is not active".
Everything is working with the displayunit (Lan, Sound, Keybord, Mouse) but the display is not switching to my big monitor. And I cannot swich the device to the monitor since the system try icon disappaered.
I tried to unistall the whole display link software and clean it with your cleaning tool and then install the newest driver version 7.7 m2 times several time.
But no chance. I tried it on another display link since I have another workstation. Same problem.
The display link is not switching the grafic option to the big monitor.
Before I worked with it without any problems since more than half of a year. I had only once the same problem after an update of win, bt that was solved after installing the latest driver version (there it was 7.4 m2).

Please help...I really don't know to handle the problem and reactivate the system tray to switch the device. And I need to work with it.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip LAPTOPVAIO_20150102_074258.zip (512.3 KB, 5 views)
jbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Can you try the latest version (7.7 M3) from here?
http://displaylink.com/support/downloads.php

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
jbringer

Hi James,

thanks for quick answer.
I uninstalled the old driver cleaned it with the cleaning tool.
But after installing the new 7.7M3 version there is no Change. Still everything works but no display switch and no system tray icon. Before the Update of Win 8.1 everything worked fine on my vaio laptop.

On my older XP laptop I have now also problems. There I installed the newest 7.6m2 for XP because the display didn't worked also.
There I have now the same problem. Display Tray Icon appears for short time and then the massage "there is a old driver installed which is not compatible with USB 3.0" . I had never before this massage. And the device worked well even with USB 2.0.

Everything else works: Keyboard, Mouse, Network

I also change the Display Link Unit with the newest one. Same problem.
I checkt also the Monitor and Cabel...everything is working if I connect it normaly.

Please help

BRGDs

Joe
Old 01-06-2015, 04:08 AM   #4
paco_charte

Default I have a very similar issue

In my case, I recently traded in an HP Envy with Windows 7 for a machine with Windows 8.1 at Costco because it was the same price with a backlit keyboard.

Well, I've done the install routine numerous times for the Targus docking station and I know what I'm doing. But in Windows 8 after I install the DisplayLink software, I can see the DisplayLinkManager and the DisplayLinkUserAgent processes running in Task Manager, but there is no icon in the system tray at all (as there was with Windows 7) and I have no way of actually opening the popup GUI and making any changes.

This was only noticed because my external monitor will not work now (since plugging the Windows 8.1 machine into the dock) and when I go to Device Manager, the Targus/DisplayLink system only shows up as "Generic Super Speed USB Hub".

Additionally, Windows does not detect the external speakers plugged into the dock/hub.

Everything but external audio and video seems to be working (mouse, kb).

A further issues is that the firmware updater from Targus apparently can't make contact with the device and the firmware update fails.

This is very bizarre and it seems like it's probably a software problem.

Other info: I've tried the most recent v7.7 Mk3 from a fresh install, then I uninstalled it, used the cleaning tool and tried v7.6 from the Targus website (may just link to DisplayLink), but neither works. Again, Windows views the USB driver as "Generic Super Speed USB Hub" and I have lost functionality of my external monitor (both via HDMI and DVI) and speakers when running them through the hub. Have replaced the DVI cable as well as the HDMI cable and no go.

Last edited by paco_charte; 01-06-2015 at 04:20 AM.
paco_charte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
JamesH

Hi,

Regarding the issue on your Vaio notebook; do you get the same issue on other USB ports on it? Also do you get the same issue with a different USB cable?

Thanks,
James
Old 01-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
jbringer

Hi,

no change if I use an other USB port.
I tried everything. Installed it, uninstalled it, on both USB Ports. As I told.

At the moment I am very disapointed. It worked perfectly and now nothing. I planed both of my offices with your device.
I cant hardly work on that, because I need the big screen on my home office.
I bought two of your devices and finaly its a wast of money and wast of time.
Your support is more than poor. I wrote several emails, posted on the forum and since more than 6 weeks I am out of line with your device. I only got two answers at your forum.

So my essential question is:
What is the problem now?

Why is it not possible to have access to the icon to switch the device?
Why are the problems with win 8.1?

Joe
Old 01-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
JamesH

Hi,

If you have one can you try connecting your dock to your notebook via a USB 2.0 cable? Reason for asking is that your support logs are full of USB connection errors.

The logs also show that your Dell monitor has not been detected which explains the missing system tray icon. This is probably related to the USB errors mentioned above.

Thanks,
James
Old 01-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #8
jbringer

No Change with USB 2.
But anyway...the systems worked fine.
What about the massage I get on Win XP: "you are using an older driver version for your USB3 dock"
The newest one is installed.
There the Systemtrayicon also disapeared.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:15 AM   #9
Basti

Question Same problem

Hi,
I am having same problem, no system tray AND USB Display Device not detected in device manager.
Any solution found? Thanks...

Last edited by Basti; 02-05-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
systems tray icon, win 8.1