Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 05-20-2023, 04:00 AM   #1
marklnagy

Thumbs up Dispalys forgetting previous layout settings

I have a Macbook Pro M2. Running Monterey V 12.6.1.

I have 2 Display Links, one at the office and one at home. I run 2 external screens which connect perfectly in both locations.

However, every time I reconnect my Mac now, it forgets the screen layout I had when I disconnected the USB C plug from the displaylink. Even if my Mack goes to sleep. When I wake it up, the screen layouts changes. Its extremely frustrating because I often have browsers, email clients and spreadsheets open and I need to go back every time and put the apps back in the screens I need them to reside on.

My displaylink/s are running DisplayLink manager 1.8.1 (build 63.180).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the having to rearrange my screens sevral times a day is totally frustrating and I am not keen set my Mac's sleep settings to never so I don't lose the layouts.

Thanks everyone...

Last edited by marklnagy; 05-22-2023 at 02:13 AM.
marklnagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:49 PM   #2
medikoo

+1

I have very similar problem on new Mac Mini with M2 Pro.

After it goes to sleep and wakes up, windows on display are reorganized, as if display was assumed as disconnected for sleep time
medikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 01:25 PM   #3
rboerner
Super Moderator

The behavior described by both posters suggests that the macOS display persistence cache may be out of sorts.

A way to test this theory would be to clear the cache, aka reset the screen layout.

The easiest way I have found to do this is by using a feature built-in to the DisplayLink Support Tool utility --> https://www.synaptics.com/products/d...s-support-tool

1. Disconnect all of the external displays from the host
2. Download and launch the DisplayLink Support Tool application.
3. Click on 'Advanced' within the application's menu bar, and then click to select the option 'Reset screen layout'.
4. If prompted, enter your account password and click 'OK'
5. You should receive a confirmation that the screen layout was reset, and a prompt to reboot the host. Click on 'Reboot'
6. Once the system has been rebooted, reconnect the external displays. Since the layout has been reset, you will most likely have to adjust the display settings to your preference.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:22 AM   #4
marklnagy

Default No luck unfortunately. Same issue still occurs.

Hi there, thanks for the tip. I did try this, but unfortunately it did not work. Everything was reset as suggested would happen and I reconfigured my screen layout. But next time I disconnected, the screens were not where I left them. They seem to want to gather on my Mac. But its mainly the browsers and not other applications.

Appreciate you trying...
marklnagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:29 AM   #5
Kluber

I have the same problem on an M1 Mac mini on Ventura 13.2.1 and an Intel Macbook Pro running macOS 12.6.3 which leads me to think it's not the platform, both on 1.8.1 (build 63.180)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklnagy View Post
I have a Macbook Pro M2. Running Monterey V 12.6.1.

I have 2 Display Links, one at the office and one at home. I run 2 external screens which connect perfectly in both locations.

However, every time I reconnect my Mac now, it forgets the screen layout I had when I disconnected the USB C plug from the displaylink. Even if my Mack goes to sleep. When I wake it up, the screen layouts changes. Its extremely frustrating because I often have browsers, email clients and spreadsheets open and I need to go back every time and put the apps back in the screens I need them to reside on.

My displaylink/s are running DisplayLink manager 1.8.1 (build 63.180).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the having to rearrange my screens sevral times a day is totally frustrating and I am not keen set my Mac's sleep settings to never so I don't lose the layouts.

Thanks everyone...
Kluber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:55 PM   #6
ant2k2

This tool worked for me then broke something else. Using camo studio pro as my camera software for vid calls. Once I used this tool that stopped working. Still investigating and will post a follow up if I resolve the issue.
ant2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote