Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #81
medobear

Please add support for Linux!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #82
ThePhi

Unhappy

+1
I'm very disappointed! I've bought an AOC E1659Fwu USB monitor expecting linux support as it worked with the previous USB 2.0 model.
Please provide a solution!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #83
Beaker

its now September 2013 : (

sure wish I could use this USB 3 displaylink device i have sitting here un-powered
Old 09-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #84
gazpel

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Threeaaad, happy birthday too you.

Still checking back here periodically to see if things have changed. Looks like they did not. :/
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #85
spamalam

Registered just to prod this thread, this is rather disappointing to see a lack of foresight on supporting linux/mac at launch, but after a year with absolutely zero progress its all a bit shameful.

Any news?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #86
linux_desktop_user

Default How do we move this forward?

I am another Linux desktop user who is disappointed that the newer USB 3.0 products do not work with Linux.

As I understand it from posts by DisplayLink staff on this forum, there are two problems here:
1. DisplayLink are of the opinion that there is insufficient demand for a Linux driver to justify DisplayLink's software development costs incurred in creating one; and
2. The USB 3.0 products use some sort of encryption scheme intended to prevent copyright violation, and DisplayLink are concerned that release of source code able to drive their USB 3.0 products (or specifications of the wire protocol used) would permit people to break this in some way, and thus be able to violate copyrights.

Could someone from DisplayLink please confirm the above, or correct my understand if I'm wrong?

I would have thought that the number of posts here would cause DisplayLink to change their mind regarding demand.

In any case, problem number one above does not need to be solved - DisplayLink do not need to write a Linux driver. There are many competent C programmers (and I am one of them) who could write such a driver, if specifications were available.
This brings us on to the second problem, the undocumented encryption scheme used.

I would just like to confirm: so the only thing preventing the copyright infringers of this world from using DisplayLink's products to aid their activities is the security by obscurity gained by not releasing source or specifications for the USB 3.0 devices, is that the case?

If not, then there exist additional effective protections, so specifications (or even driver source) should be released, so that we in the community can develop drivers ourselves.

If so, then we in the community need to get going breaking the encryption used, so that we can then write working drivers.

Of course, in the latter scenario, it would be rather sad for the content industry if, in their attempt to force DisplayLink to protect their content, they in fact multiplied many-fold the number of skilled people attempting to break the protection scheme.
How ironic that instead of fighting only the copyright-infringers, they would have to fight those copyright-infringers *and* people like me who just want this hardware to work with Free drivers.

This reminds me of the DVD story, where due to the 'protection' afforded by CSS, in order merely to play DVDs under Linux, it was necessary to break CSS entirely, and then Jon's DeCSS code got integrated into the DVD-copyer programs, and the rest (as they say) is history.

Is this a repeat of the same silly story? Please tell me it's not.

Last edited by linux_desktop_user; 09-10-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 09-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #87
divioseo

I have also buyed an AOC E1659Fwu usb monitor thinking it was ok on linux ...

Additional display are heavily used by linux users, thats non sense to not provide a driver for it !

Please do something for us.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #88
Zizounnette

plz need it too.
Awaiting for 3 month now.

Give us at least some hope and an ETA !
Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #89
playmobitch

WHAT ??!?!?? No Linux Support ?!??

no mac support, why not, who cares? but no Linux support is a total nonsense.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #90
dclarke

I agree with the rest of the forum posts... lack of basic Linux support in 2013 is really lame and with business targeted laptops now relying on this tech for their docking stations it is no longer an annoyance it is a real problem.

I've been watching this thread since the start (1 year now) and I thought by now we'd surely have basic support. Just wanted to voice my discontent with the lack of support and lack of communication.
Closed Thread