Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #101
soustaji

Default unprofessional

come on this can't be true. make this work! we don't care for useless content protection or any political reasons. we paid for a product that we can't use - some of us, like me, not at all! i am a linux only user and bought a useless piece of plastic and silicon. how against your customers is that? i will have to plug/unplug dozens of cables because my dock is totally useless to me. i'll send it back!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #102
kwutchak

Talking Insecure data path for Linux will be more than sufficient...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
... One issue is that the DL-3000 supports content protection and we need to ensure this remains secure under an open source environment.
Wim
I'd hazard a guess that not many Linux enthusiasts would be overly concerned at losing a data path that secures the interests of companies that didn't pay for your hardware (in contrast to the Linux user who did buy it).

Is it possible to provide open source drivers that allow us to display X (as I do on your USB 2 chipset). I know that I don't care at all that the data path for my X display is secure from, well, me.

Last edited by kwutchak; 11-12-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #103
paulbarker

I was planning to buy a Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock for my laptop (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdet...BAF06F8726DA3E). I now shan't be doing as it doesn't look like it will have Linux support any time soon. This is very disappointing and DisplayLink have just cost their customer, Lenovo, a sale.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #104
phainuna

@paulbarker: Hold back from that one. I fell into the trap...
Old 12-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #105
jtheoof

Thumbs down It will soon be 2014

After checking this thread for a weeks, I, too, decided to register to the forum only to display my disappointment with the lack of Linux support. We will soon be joining 2014 and not supporting Linux these days really feels unprofessional, especially when DisplayLink falsy advertises for Linux support.

Please, listen to the community and bring us the means to use your devices under our favorite OS.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #106
Darrenm

Default +1 support Linux please

For what it's worth - I'm another pleading for Linux support.

DisplayLink depend on a vibrant PC market and I am holding off buying a new laptop because of this one issue. It sounds like I'm not the only one.

I might even have to buy a Mac.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #107
walkeer

I am very unhappy that there is no linux support for my USB 3.0 docking station from Lenovo, the more that there is support for Mac, which I guess is quite simmilar to linux.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #108
khamer

I've started a petition on change.org for this.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #109
Bert Rolston

Default A freakin' expensive USB hub!

I bought a 3XXX series so that I could replace laptops without have to get a new docking station each time.

Disappointed that DisplayLink won't support the 3xxx series in Linux because of DRM, which only stops honest people from using their computers effectively.

Let's face it, the real crooks will ALWAYS find a way to circumvent protection.

I won't be recommending this product to ANY of my customers.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #110
arthur.lutz

I'm the same case, and would like to use this for work (and some collegues too). I can assure you that if this issue was resolved, we'd buy some more docks. DisplayLink please hear us out and provide a Linux solution for this problem.

Am using Ubuntu 13.10...
Closed Thread