Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
emjayar84

Default LAN not working on Dynadock after Windows update.

Hi Guys,

Your software is really testing me these days. Unfortunately whenever Windows release updates, which seems to be regularly these days, your software fails in one way or another. No other software I use has this issue.

In the past after different windows updates I have had these examples of problems:

- Display doesn't work
- Display flicks from one screen to the other
- Loss of sound and LAN
- Loss of only sound
- Loss of LAN
- Loss of USB

I can list far more but I think you get the idea.

Usually these can be fixed by downloading the latest software from your websites, but it begs the following questions:

- Why does it take me 2 or 3 installation attempts to get everything working?
and
- Why can't your software auto update like all other software I can think of?

It would be interested to know your thoughts on the above.

My problem at the moment is, after a windows update, I have lost my LAN.

I have run the DisplayLink Cleaner and downloaded the latest Software (7.9 M7) but it still does not work, even though I have tried 3 times.

In order to run my software I need a gigabit network speed, so now it's starting to effect my work.

Please can someone help.

(I am using the Toshiba Dynadock U3.0 with a Lenovo Z510. Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM. )
emjayar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

There isn't enough information in your post to give you a definite answer on the current problem, unfortunately.
My forum signature includes a link on how to give the log files for analysis.

This is not up to the device to claim which driver to install, that's the OS job, otherwise any malicious company could hijack your devices and log your network traffic, or displayed content. The OS makes the choice based on its driver store, and depending on your machine settings and Windows version, the date/version number and status (optional, recommended, important, critical...) from Windows Update (WU).

Random loss of sound or Ethernet driver during update cannot be from the driver: either it is not formed properly and it never works, or if it worked once, then it is formed properly. DisplayLink Ethernet and audio drivers are signed by Microsoft. To get this signature, they MUST pass the Windows hardware qualification... so they have to be formed properly.
The DisplayLink sound and Ethernet drivers are very simple. If the driver works when manually selected and sometimes automatically, then I have issues understanding how it could be the drivers' fault. I'm open to suggestions though.
Here is a shorter way to assigning the drivers manually when Windows doesn't do it. I have personally received a third party Ethernet and a third party audio driver update once in the 6 years I've had my home machine, so I am unable to compare success rate.
Maybe your driver store is corrupted.

Loss of USB: I don't understand. DisplayLink doesn't do USB hubs, if you are referring to the USB sockets on your Dynadock. DisplayLink is a semiconductor vendor, we do a chip which is designed in by companies like Toshiba and it is plugged into a USB hub, like your keyboard or mouse would be.
Our driver, or firmware don't have any control over the USB hub and ports on the dock.
The DisplayLink chip is a complex USB device. Therefore it tends to show shortcomings in the USB host controller and BIOS, even with us being USB compliant... That's why the DisplayLink chip in most docks is part of the USB gold tree used to test the USB testers.
Could you please clarify what you mean by "loss of USB" so I can give relevant advice?

Loss of display. This one I claim responsibility for! The reason is extremely simple: the Windows graphics subsystem is complex. Until Windows 10 TH2, we MUST work in tandem with the primary graphics card... If there is a slight disconnect, then we don't get any pixel (ON but blank monitor) or worse, Windows trips on the carpet. If the Windows Update is not completing properly with the co-installer (or if you have WU on a Corporate Deployment), then it is likely to stop working.
From 8.0 on Windows 7 up to Windows 10 TH2 (builds <=10586), we are addressing this with what I'll call a side-by-side installer: instead of modifying the core files during the update, we keep the current files and make the update at the following reboot. This also means you don't have to reboot immediately as you can keep using the external monitors (on the old driver). Thanks to this side-by-side, a corporate deployment can also be updated by Windows Update. It wasn't possible before because the driver store was locked by WU.
On the longer term, we have been working with Microsoft on that and are offering a much more resilient and simple solution on Windows 10 anniversary update (builds >14200). If you have the willingness, you can try today with 8.0 Beta 4 and the Windows Insiders program fast ring, with the understanding that this is beta software on a new feature of a beta OS.

I hope this gives you a bit of clarification on what is happening, and how we are working to improve things for you all, including ourselves as all DisplayLink employees have products using the technology on their desk.

If you give me the logs, I will be delighted to look at the issue at hand: the 7.9 M7 not working.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
emjayar84

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

I only need help with the LAN issue at the moment, the rest are working, for the moment.

Can you also tell me why your software doesn't automatically update, as I asked above?

Please find the zip file attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip MJR-LENOVO_20160613_130032.zip (1.34 MB, 3 views)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
emjayar84

@AlbanRampon

Any chance you can come back to me??
Old 06-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
AlbanRampon

Hello,
For anything urgent, I recommend a ticket. At DisplayLink like most companies, forum support doesn't have any kind of SLA.

I did answer about the update, and would need to understand what you need more.

About the network issue, there is no driver problem. The dock doesn't see a cable connected. This is a hardware negotiation and the driver on your computer has nothing to do there. See below the network card media state.
I recommend changing the cable and checking the connection is Full Duplex. If that doesn't address it, then this is a hardware issue in the dock. That would explain why you have a random behaviour.

Kind regards,
Alban

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : dynadock Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-B6-XX-XX-FC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution