Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release

Old 08-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
Komodo

Thumbs down Several annoying problems with Lion using 1.7b3

I have a 15-Inch, late 2008 MacBookPro running Lion and when I install the 1.7 beta 3 driver I get several strange things happening. My current setup is:

- 2 brand-new 23'' Dell Monitors
- 1 Monitor connected via DVI to the mini port directly on the mac
- 1 Monitor connected via DVI to the Plugable USB 2.0 Display Adapter, which is connected directly to USB port on the mac

Strange behaviors:

1) The screen saver doesn't work. All I get on the screen is a gray color on both monitors.

2) Flash doesn't get rendered. Tried in Safari, Chrome and Firefox to no avail.

3) Blank screen when viewing a website. When browsing a website, the first time the page loads I can see the content, but right after the browser page goes blank. It happens in Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

4) There's no feedback from a keyboard input. Nothing gets written to the screen when typing on the keyboard. I even tried different keyboards in case one of them were bad but I got the same result on all keyboards. The fix is to restart the computer but even then the same problem starts after a couple of minutes.

5) Mouse cursor ghosting. Sometimes I get a ghost mouse pointer on the monitor connected to the display adapter.

6) Fireworks CS5 crashes. It keeps crashing right after it opens.

Any idea how to get these problems fixed, or when and update will be available?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
k.korontzis

Default 1.7b3

I get the exact same issues!!

PLEASE have a solution soon!

Thank you for all your hard work so far DL.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
philip

Default definitely getting cursor ghosting

I came to report cursor ghosting MBP 5,1 15" late 08 as well

very good round up of similar issues that made me uninstall beta3 Komodo. is it only our model?

I was surprised beta 3 came out as quickly as it did! Keep up the good work DisplayLink! I will keep a look out for future updates! let us know if we can give you any more information to debug these issues.

Last edited by philip; 08-08-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
ChristianP

Thanks for reporting the strange behaviours. Unfortunately all these issues are related to an Apple bug. The bug involves different models equipped with the nVidia 9400 chipset (mainly 2008 and 2009 models). Apple is aware of the bug and we do hope that a fix will be released in the next Lion updates.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Elderon4

After reading this post it sounds like this is not something that you guys are going to be able to do anything about?
Seems a bit out of control with the copying problem. So far this is the only problem that I am having with my system.
Are you guys thinking of releasing a B4 with a fix for some of the things that you can control?

thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianP View Post
Thanks for reporting the strange behaviours. Unfortunately all these issues are related to an Apple bug. The bug involves different models equipped with the nVidia 9400 chipset (mainly 2008 and 2009 models). Apple is aware of the bug and we do hope that a fix will be released in the next Lion updates.
cool! Have you gotten a chance to look at 10.7.2 released to developers? would it appear that it would be fixed there?

also, I am running in performance mode which should switch my computer's graphics to the 9600 but the issue still purists. I presume you're saying that doesn't matter?

Last edited by philip; 08-08-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderon4 View Post
After reading this post it sounds like this is not something that you guys are going to be able to do anything about?
Seems a bit out of control with the copying problem. So far this is the only problem that I am having with my system.
Are you guys thinking of releasing a B4 with a fix for some of the things that you can control?

thanks!
The nVidia 9400 issue unfortunately is on Apple's side a we're are waiting for a fix.
Anyway, we are planning to release a new beta and try to fix all the issues that we can control.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
cool! Have you gotten a chance to look at 10.7.2 released to developers? would it appear that it would be fixed there?

also, I am running in performance mode which should switch my computer's graphics to the 9600 but the issue still purists. I presume you're saying that doesn't matter?
The 10.7.2 was released just for testing iCloud beta and it doesn't contain bug fixes. I expect Apple to release 10.7.1 with a lot of fixes.
Unfortunately just few problems are fixed switching to 9600, for other issues we must wait for an Apple fix.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
mdst

Thumbs up THis fix worked for me on OSX Lion

I found this post from a Display Link employee on another forum which helped me get my displays to work with OSX Lion, as I was also greeted with a blank screen with no login:

From the employee:
"The most important caveat/limitation we know of now with Lion, is that anyone with a hybrid graphics Mac (dual Intel/nVidia, etc.), must go into their energy saver preferences, and set graphics to "higher performance" before installing the DisplayLink drivers. Without this, the login screen won't render correctly -- a nasty problem. "

Geez... guess support is the same everywhere.. you have to spend days looking for answers elsewhere..
Old 08-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdst View Post
I found this post from a Display Link employee on another forum which helped me get my displays to work with OSX Lion, as I was also greeted with a blank screen with no login:

From the employee:
"The most important caveat/limitation we know of now with Lion, is that anyone with a hybrid graphics Mac (dual Intel/nVidia, etc.), must go into their energy saver preferences, and set graphics to "higher performance" before installing the DisplayLink drivers. Without this, the login screen won't render correctly -- a nasty problem. "

Geez... guess support is the same everywhere.. you have to spend days looking for answers elsewhere..
Sorry for not mentioning this workaround in my reply. This workaround is listed in the sticky post " Important: Known issues between DisplayLink and Lion OSX" on top of this forum. Unfortunately in some cases the workaround doesn't fix every issue.