I just got an MB169+ 1080p usb portable monitor screen from ASUS
It wont play any iTunes movies.
NO HDCP compliance?
useless to me if i cant even use it to watch a movie
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:45 AM   #2
paultzirides

Default HDCP issues

I'm fairly certain that the HDCP issue is listed in the "Known Issues" section of the Readme when you download the driver.

It is pretty unfortunate, though. There have been more than occasion when I have wanted to watch a movie (even on a mini-DP-connected or internal display) and have been unable to due to some issue with the DisplayLink device being identified as a "virtual" display, which apparently are not allowed to handle certain types of video content.
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
Spencer

Yes true
well i suppose we are in the beginnings of this kind of display technology, and ASUS have still done a great job with serving us this product, which at least as a secondary display for a mac, pc or notebook/macbook is definitely a useful work tool
My problem is that it also prevents the actual mac screen from playing the movies if the ASUS screen is also attached, so i cant even watch it on the main screen.

I also use an app called Duet which allows me to mirror or extend my Mac screen to an Ipad using a usb lightning connector, and i cant even play itunes movies on that (2K screen resolution), when the MB169+ is attached to the Mac

Looks like this screen is for my workflow, but not for media consumption, which is going to be what the majority want to use it for.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi Spencer,

There are two operating system limitations underpinning this behaviour.

The current programming interfaces in macOS are implemented in such a way that even one non-secure screen disable the ability to play protected content on all the system.
Apple mentioned to us that this is "expected behaviour" but you can raise an enhancement bug on bugreporter.apple.com to suggest resolving this limitation, as we've done.

More importantly, there is currently no application interface to add secure third party displays to a system. Once such an interface was available we could enable playback of secure content. We have built this capability in our products and as you can see here we are DCP adopters: https://www.digital-cp.com/licensee-list

We'd encourage you to raise a second enhancement request to allow third party screens to play back secure content, once a secure pixel pipeline has been established to the display of course.

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #5
Spencer

I will do as requested, which if more people also write to Apple about this, would also help both ASUS and us the consumer.
I think before Apple have done anything about it though, i and many other people will have got sick of being forbidden to pay for content and be forbidden to watch it on their chosen device, and do what i am about to do
Namely dont buy any more Apple iTunes Movies, because they give you less rights with your own paid content, than when i buy a blueray disc or DVD.
The producers of the movies give the buyer the right to write one copy to dvd for secure keeping as a backup. Apple forbids what the content owners do not.
DHCP Compliance is changing me from a person who believes people should be paid for their content, who has spent at least 15,000$ on movies in the last 4 years, into a guy who goes to pirate bay or Yify and gets it for free. If paying for it doesnt let you watch it on a perfectly good HD screen, then i dont feel guilty anymore about it.

As a last insight before i go, which perhaps you may find interesting on a technical side;
I have a 1400px non dhcp compliant LG TFT non HD screen, which when i attach a sony hd tv to the Mac Mini as extended second monitor, lets me play the content on the 19 inch 1400 pixel NON HDCP compliant Non-HD screen perfectly!

Hence, there IS a way around it. I haven't tried that trick with this 169B+ screen yet, but i will do today or tomorrow when i have a moment.

Its so crazy that you cant play a HDCP movie on a 1080p display wired to the Mac, but i can open a Macbook Retina, and airplay to apple tv on an old crappy TV screen, or any non HDCP compliant screen attached to apple tv through airplay. Apple TV plays the movies on any rubbish screen, even in 540p. So what compliance are they forcing? None in then d. They just make it difficult for paying buyers, to enjoy their content. As to the pirates, they will always have their way around compliancy. It deters paying customers, but does not deter piracy
In fact, it encourages it.

Thanks for the licencees list.. but please remember, consumers want to buy a screen and use it.. they dont wish to spend 3 months like a lawyer scanning technical lists to figure out if they can watch the hulu movie they just bought
I will leave you with the simple key to worldwide mega success;
"User Friendly" - meaning 'plug and play, no need to read the small print'

Last edited by Spencer; 11-13-2016 at 06:25 PM.