Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 11-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
samikrc

Default Monitors are not always detected after Win 10 upgrade

Hi,

My corp laptop (Win 10) recently got updated to v1607 (Build 14393.1770). I have been using a Targus DisplayLink adapter for a long time (model ACP70US). After the upgrade, I had trouble getting my dual monitors detected. I have tried the usual power cycling etc., but this time the monitors refuse to get detected stubbornly, even though the keyboard and mouse gets detected every time.

I first tried with v8.3-M1, but that didn't work at all. With 8.4-Alpha I have had better luck, mostly by power cycling and praying. I have also seen lot of random things happening, e.g.:
  • Sometimes I see an 'Unknown Device' or something similar showing up along with 'DisplayLink USB Graphics Device' in 'Settings -> Devices -> Connected Devices'.
  • Sometimes everything looks alright, but monitors do not get detected.

I have managed to get the debug logs for a case when monitors did not get detected vs once when it did get detected. Can someone take a look and suggest if there are ways I can improve the situation?

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip L-ILB-SAMIK_20171112_122754-NoDetection.zip (3.19 MB, 4 views)
File Type: zip L-ILB-SAMIK_20171112_123414-Detection.zip (6.37 MB, 3 views)
samikrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
samikrc

This is again posing a problem, after working well for a few weeks. Now the video adapter doesn't get detected at all, even with multiple power cycling. Only the keyboard and mouse gets detected.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver software (8.4A1) multiple times but that has not helped so far.

BTW, is there still any service that gets installed by DisplayLink? I have checked the services tab but have not noticed anything from DisplayLink.

Thanks.
-Samik
Old 12-01-2017, 05:34 AM   #3
samikrc

Also, does it matter that I have connected two monitors to this device, rather than one monitor?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Sami,

Thank you for the details. This is helpful.

Would you please be able to let me know which ITEM# is under the box?
Also, would you know if the temperature in the room has changed when it stopped working? Like getting colder by a few degrees.
Could you try connecting the ACP70 to a USB2.0 only port or using a USB2 cable?

No service is needed on Windows 10 Anniversary Update onwards. That part is now inboxed by Microsoft.

On the NoDetection logs, there is no DisplayLink device connected to the computer.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
samikrc

Hi Alban,
Thanks for your response.

The item # mentioned under the box is 51.

This was purchased in US, however I am now located in Bangalore, India. For what its worth, it is actually raining here for last couple of days and definitely a few degrees colder (almost 3-4 degC colder).

Regarding connecting to a USB2.0 port: I don't seem to have one in this laptop (lenovo T450). All USB ports are 3.0 (as per this page). I do have some USB2.0 cables, but I am not sure I understand how to use those in this case, since one side of the cable has to go in the SS port of the box, right?

Let me know - and thanks again for your help.

Regards.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
samikrc

Interestingly, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad docking station at my office which also uses DisplayPort technology (possibly this one). It is connected to one monitor. When I went to office today and connected that station to the laptop, it got detected fine and worked alright. Now I am back at home, and the Targus box is still showing the same behavior: only keyboard and mouse gets detected.

Not sure what to make out of all this.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

From the data provided, I believe your docking station has an issue in the USB 3.0 hub.
Your keyboard and mouse work because they are USB 2.0 only. If you had a USB 3 product plugged in, it would most likely not work.
The chip from DisplayLink used by Targus in this product can work on either USB 2 or USB 3, provided it works. The issue is before the DisplayLink chip.

The defect is likely to be a tolerance issue. Rebooting it many times only has the effect of getting the hub running because it's getting warmer and back within tolerance accepted by the computer.

Because it's an old product, I doubt the manufacturer will do a replacement under warranty, but you can try.

You can work around the hardware fault by using a standard USB 2.0 cable. I wouldn't advise to heat the box up, even if it's likely to have an influence.
The USB plugs and protocol were conceived to be backward compatible. So it's fine if the additional lines are not connected, it will force the USB 2 mode and, if I'm correct in the diagnosis, you'll see that the displays, audio and ethernet will light up again.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 12-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
AlbanRampon

I had not seen your latest posts with the Lenovo dock.
Same DisplayLink IC, same driver. That tends to confirm my diagnosis.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:20 AM   #9
samikrc

Hello Alban,

Thanks for your insightful reply - an interesting case here. So just to see if my understanding is right, the temperature tolerance of the USB3.0 hub used in the docking station is at issue here. When using this docking station from cold condition (e.g., when it has not been used for a few hours etc), or when the ambient temperature is cold, it has (or, is having) trouble in getting started since the temperature is not within tolerance. Is this explanation about right?

Couple of questions:
- Of course you say I shouldn't heat up the box, which makes sense. I am thinking of using a room heater instead to increase the ambient temperature, and see if that works. What do you think?
- Why do you think the other (lenovo) docking station works, although it has the same DP IC and driver? Is it because it is more recent one and the temperature tolerance has been relaxed to be usable for a broader range?
- Would you recommend purchasing a new one like the lenovo one to going forward?
- What does the item# signify? Is it like a batch # or something, denoting when this was manufactured?

Thanks again.