Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Stephen

Default Launchpad

I rarely use Launchpad while at work for two reasons, one the four finger swipe gesture has to be done on my trackpad which is out of reach normally and two is freezes/crashes.

The last few times I have tried it everything locks up on my Mac as Launchpad tries to display on my DisplayLink enabled monitor. I can also cause this using the Launchpad icon in the Dock.

After my last reboot I tried it again and I ran 'top -o cpu' in a terminal window. The output froze while Launchpad was starting but when it returned it displayed WindowServer using 168% of the CPU. The actual Launchpad display flickers badly and when I go to actually close the Launchpad display there is another spike in processor and everything (except the mouse pointer) freezes. The mouse pointer never freezes and is always responsive.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Stephen

Still broken in 10.8.2
Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Stephen

Can anyone else confirm this issue?

When I try to use Launchpad, everything freezes up for 5-180 seconds before Launchpad pops up and even then sometimes it freezes on Launchpad.

If I need to collect additional information I can.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
GodwinC

I think it is a limitation of the Displaylink hardware.. if I remember correctly, it doesn't support Quartz Extreme
GodwinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
kennetheyoung@gmail.com

Talking Verified Launchpad Mountain Lion Bug - Work Around Solution

I have the VERY SLOW to OPEN Launchpad bug issue on ML 10.8.2, using two external monitors, one hooked up to my Thunderbolt port and one hooked up to my DisplayLink USB 2 adaptor running the July 2, 2012 DisplayLink Mountain Lion firmware update.

If you have your applications launch bar at the bottom of the external monitor that is hooked up to the DisplayLink adaptor, you will see this problem. If you wait about 2-3 minutes after clicking the Launchpad icon, Launchpad will finally open. Unacceptably SLOW!

Work around solution: (discovered through experimentation)

1) Open your display control at the top of your mac window (open rectangle with an up arrow shape intersecting the bottom)

2) click "Open Display Preferences"

3) click "Arrangement"

4) Grab the "white bar" which is displayed at the "top" of one of the two monitors shown. Drag it to the top "other monitor" which should be the monitor that is driven directly by your Mac via the Thunderbolt (or prior named port).

Like "magic" you can now tap on the "Launchpad" icon (which is now on the other monitor) and it opens instantly.

Cause? I have no frigg'n idea. DisplayLink engineers should be able to fix this one. It worked just fine on Lion. My guess is that this wasn't on their verification checklist. I hope the fix it soon
kennetheyoung@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
lhunt

Just had a user report that this is still an issue with 10.8.4
lhunt is offline   Reply With Quote