Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
itadmincrbc

Default Production Driver 2.3 driver? No. This is a BETA driver still.

I don't see how Displaylink can release a driver and call it production when it still doesn't work correctly. This is going on over a YEAR since I bought this dock and STILL the drivers don't work right.
itadmincrbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
jdb

Angry

Agree completely

Can someone from DisplayLink comment on whether we can ever expect solutions to issues that seriously degrade the quality of the experience on Mac?

Mirror mode not kept after restart...
Clamshell mode requires a monitor to be connected to built-in port...
No 3D (OpenGL) acceleration...
Colour calibration does not work...
Corruption around window edges...
Missing UI elements in the menu bar, Maps & iBooks...

And that's not to mention implementing per-display functionality like brightness and rotation on my MB168B+

Thanks,
JDB
jdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb View Post
Agree completely

Can someone from DisplayLink comment on whether we can ever expect solutions to issues that seriously degrade the quality of the experience on Mac?

Mirror mode not kept after restart...
Clamshell mode requires a monitor to be connected to built-in port...
No 3D (OpenGL) acceleration...
Colour calibration does not work...
Corruption around window edges...
Missing UI elements in the menu bar, Maps & iBooks...

And that's not to mention implementing per-display functionality like brightness and rotation on my MB168B+

Thanks,
JDB
Hi JDB,

I can only give limited information however it's a very fair question.

The items you mentioned fall into a few categories, starting from the easiest:
1) Things that DisplayLink could do:
- Colour calibration
- Brightness from SW

2) Things that are not meant to be on the platform
- Clamshell with only third party screens

3) Things that used to work and are broken in 10.9 and 10.10
- Layout persistence
- Rotating the correct screens
- Missing UI items
- Corruption around windows

4) Things that have never been working completely and are even worse in 10.10
- 3D acceleration (this could be causing some corruption/UI problems as well)

In terms of what we can do..
Following the Apple Developer documentation we could really only do (1). As you may know, OS X is the only major platform without a DDK (Driver Development Kit) for graphics and this makes everything very difficult and risky.
So when the OS introduces bugs like the ones in (3) we have a difficult situation.
However it's now pretty obvious that fixes are not coming quickly and we have been working on workarounds for (3) for a while. We have to be careful because the risk is to introduce kernel panics but I'm confident we can improve quite a few (3) items soon.
(4) is a notch up from (3) and affecting it would need some pretty risky interaction with the OS. However the SW renderer in Yosemite is quite hopeless and it may become even worse so I don't exclude us having to oust it.
(2) is a kind of third party utility feature in my opinion. It's something we may investigate though.

As the Yosemite bugs demonstrate no Company, not even Apple, has an infinite number of people to work on their products.
Prioritisation is very important and I'd welcome your input.
Personally, as a Yosemite user, I'd prefer DisplayLink to work on 3,4,1,2 in that order.

Comments welcome!

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
jdb

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply. I'm afraid I'm just a frustrated end-user, rather than a programmer, and I note that cleverer minds than mine have contributed to the discussions on fixes & solutions to your problems.

However, I would agree that your priorities of 3, 4, 1, 2 sound spot on.

I bought a DisplayLink monitor hoping for a reliable, high-quality connection from my Macbook, and it's definitely the "noticeable" problems that degrade the user experience, which is not to detract from the importance of issues such as log spam etc.

With thanks in anticipation of further updates soon,

JDB
jdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
itadmincrbc

Got in this morning and of course, the display arrangement does not work. The simplest thing in the world. After sleep it loses the arrangement. So frustrating.

Keep the driver in beta form it's not production.
itadmincrbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
MikeTheCanuck

I'm not sure (having not followed this for the year - only got my Mac a month ago) if this is an additional issue or something implied/stated in (1)-(4)...

That said, one of the other things that is very noticeable is the delay (3-5 seconds depending on the number of attached monitors) when I 3-finger salute into or out of Mission Control. Mission Control comes up almost immediately as soon as I'm disconnected from the DisplayLink device, but has a noticeable "freeze"-all-actions behaviour when I launch or close MC when I'm connected to the DisplayLink device (in my case, one of those little ThinkPad USB-connected "hubs").

I'll suggest labelling this as (5) but apologetic if it's understood as any of (1)-(4).
MikeTheCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote