Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 06-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
zh1126

Default High CPU usage from BVU3500 USB 3.0 external DisplayLink

Just purchased Diamond BVU 3500 external usb adapter to add a second monitor to my laptop, which only has 1 HDMI port. Sense installing it seems drastically slower and also seems like the refresh rate is at 10...skips and sputters. When viewing system resources DisplayLinkManager shows about 35% of CPU usage if I get the mouse on the monitor that the DisplayLink is working with. When using the other monitor it uses around 10% but thats only when nothing is on that screen (except the desktop) and if I move the mouse over it jumpts to 40%.

The laptop has a HP 15-F014WM - has a AMD A8-Quadcore 2.2ghz, 15gig ram (upgraded) and SSD drive with fresh install of xubuntu 16.04 and Wind 10 dual boot. Windows works just fine but the ubuntu is slow. I have installed the latest drivers and even uninstalled and reinstalled after updating the firmware on Windows machine (as I read someone said that it fixed the problem once they updated the windows version). Doesnt seemed to have helped on my end. Is it worth going and installing the previous DisplayLink driver?

Is 30% normal when just moving the mouse over the desktop and not having any significant programs running? When displaylink is active and I open chromium my CPU spikes to about 70-80% with just this website open. Any help would be greatly appreciated it.
zh1126 is offline   Reply With Quote