Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release

Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Shagler

Default Graphics performance degrades when using this driver...

I have a fairly new PC with the following:

Intel I7 920
6 Gig Memory
ATI 4870 Graphics Card (Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1G)

I recently built this up with Windows 7 RC1 and the 5.2 DisplayLink software for Windows7....I have the HP USB Graphics Adapter. I found that my graphics performance was terrible on the non-DisplayLink monitors when trying to run a benchmark or a game. I completely re-installed everything so that I could test along the way and found that as soon as I installed the 5.2 DisplayLink software, graphics performance degraded to a point of unusable.

I uninstalled the 5.2 software and my graphics performance increased dramatically to expected levels.

I will have to wait to get released software that doesn't degrade the graphics performance of the rest of my system. In the meantime, I thought that this group would like to know for additional testing purposes.

Steven.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Rob

Hi Steven, thanks for reporting this issue, I've just tried to reproduce it, but require some more information. Can you please provide the name of benchmarking program/games you were trying to run, what version of ATI driver have you installed and which version of Windows7.

Regards,
Rob
Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Shagler

Rob,

On the benchmarking side, I tried to run 3DMark Vantage. The games were Prototype and Burnout Paradise.

I have tried both of the last two ATI Drives for Win7...I am currently on Catalyst Version 9.8.

Windows Version is 64bit (tried both RC1 and RTM).

The first install was RC1 with ATI 9.7 (or whatever was just before 9.8) with these apps. TERRIBLE 3D performance...didn't deinstall DisplayLink...thought it was something else.

Rebuilt again with RTM and ATI 9.7...everything worked great. Updated to ATI 9.8....Everything worked great. Installed DisplayLink software/driver....back to bad 3D (in those apps) performance. Uninstalled DisplayLink...everything is working great.

Steven
Old 08-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Rob

Thanks for the information. I'll get someone to have a look at the problem and will be back in touch.

Regards,
Rob
Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
aurelius

Default driver issue

Hi all!

I would report something that -i think- could be in connection with the bug above.
At first, as always, config with drivers:
---
AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ (s939)
4x512 DDR400
Sapphire HD 3870
---
Graphics displays:
main: FSC x17-2
ext.: Samsung U70
---
Most recent ATI driver and your 5.2. OS is Win7 RC1 of course.
---
Bug desc.:

On the screen resolution window (where you can select each monitors settings, or detect/identify them), I click the Advanced settings, and on the 2nd ('Monitor') tab, however i would like to see the main monitor's details, the monitor's name is the Samsung Ubisync. But the refresh rate is the main screen's (so ok). Then I select the 2nd display (U70) in the screen res. window -> advanced settings, and the name on monitor tab is the same, but with the correct (62 Hz) refresh rate.
So, as I think, it leaves the settings for the main monitor (or at least it leaves the main points), but overwrites some details for instance the name of the display.
And if some settings of the main display are modified by the driver, it may lead to the problem mentioned by Shagler.

So far I haven't encounter any other bugs or errors, it's simply working with the Samsung SyncMaster U70 USB monitor. Next week I'll test it watchfully

I'm hungarian and using english a bit rarely nowadays, but i hope you could understand my observation.

Could I ask about the driver's development by the way? Is there a final release coming out soon or that's months later ?

Greetings from Hungary!

Last edited by aurelius; 08-30-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Martin

Hi Steven.

I have analysed your issue and it appears that whilst using the benchmarking app and some games, the frame rate reduces to an unnaceptable level. I have a fix which will be made available in a future release. In the meantime, please consider emailing the Windows 7 beta email address (win7beta@displaylink.com) with your problem, as we would like to verify the fix.

Best Regards,
Martin.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Martin

Hi aurelius,

We are still investigating this bug and we hope to have a fix in a future release. Thank you for your interest in the driver's progress! We aim to have at least monthly updates available on the website (www.displaylink.com) and windows update through to the general release of Windows 7 in October.

Best Regards,
Martin.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:47 AM   #8
Shagler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Turnock View Post
Hi Steven.

I have analysed your issue and it appears that whilst using the benchmarking app and some games, the frame rate reduces to an unnaceptable level. I have a fix which will be made available in a future release. In the meantime, please consider emailing the Windows 7 beta email address (win7beta@displaylink.com) with your problem, as we would like to verify the fix.

Best Regards,
Martin.
Martin, Can you clarify your request? Do you want me to send an email to the beta address essentially restating my original post? I'm not sure I understand....

Steven

Last edited by Shagler; 09-02-2009 at 04:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Hunv

Hi,
I have the same Issue.
It happens, when playing Call of Duty 5.
I have 1 GraphicCard (ATI Radeon HD 4850) with 2 Monitors (24" 1920x1200, 22" 1680x1050). ATI-Drivers 9.8.
I tried to minimize the Details but it didn't help. After uninstalling Displaylink-Drivers (Beta1) it runs on highest settings.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
Zyc

same problem here with a ATI HD3870 and latest drivers (9.8) and as soon as i uninstall the displaylink-drivers its back to normal