Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #181
tommiy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 30
Default

If I am not mistaken its been 12 days since any official word from DisplayLink on this matter. Its really beginning to look like these are now toast. Even over in the apple support thread the focus is on finding different solutions rather than holding out that Apple will assist to fix this. I don't think anyone thinks that Apple even wants to try to support those that created a separate industry that assisted in use of its devices in cross platform environments. Anyway, I've had to jettison my DisplayLink dock and go to an elgato due to the fact there is no known date when this will be fixed and no comms from DisplayLink on any kind of progress.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #182
Alanant
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 31
Default

10.13.5 Beta 2 does not fix the issue.
Alanant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #183
paulgee31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
If I am not mistaken its been 12 days since any official word from DisplayLink on this matter. Its really beginning to look like these are now toast. Even over in the apple support thread the focus is on finding different solutions rather than holding out that Apple will assist to fix this. I don't think anyone thinks that Apple even wants to try to support those that created a separate industry that assisted in use of its devices in cross platform environments. Anyway, I've had to jettison my DisplayLink dock and go to an elgato due to the fact there is no known date when this will be fixed and no comms from DisplayLink on any kind of progress.
We've been here many times before. It takes time, often weeks before a set of drivers are released that offer a fix or partial fix but considering I've been using the same DisplayLink device since 2011 I can't complain about the support.
paulgee31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #184
strim
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Default

I agree, DisplayLink is trying their best. They created 4.3 beta to clone displays pretty quickly. With adjusted screen resolution that provides workaround for me. Likely the proper solution depends on Apple side, while Apple seems to care not too much of the issue.
strim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #185
tommiy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 30
Default

Yes agree they may try their best but its now 3 months since the start of this thread and in that time there has been minimal information from DisplayLink on any progress. Thats a quarter of a year. If they can not manage to get any prospect that are worth informing people about in 12 weeks then I can not hold my breath for another 12 weeks to return to having multiple dislays. I had to purchase something else. It was my choice I agree but the lack of support engagement drove me there.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 AM   #186
Poly
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
If they can not manage to get any prospect that are worth informing people about in 12 weeks then I can not hold my breath for another 12 weeks to return to having multiple dislays. I had to purchase something else. It was my choice I agree but the lack of support engagement drove me there.
You're getting a bit overemotional here, but it's totally understandable. As a private person at home you have more options to choose from, in enterprise environments you have to stick with the approved hardware a while longer, which is even more frustrating.

My guess is that without Apple support there is no easy way to fix this. Hopefully, with the final release of 10.13.5 both parties i.e. DisplayLink and Apple, will have sorted it out. I'm still on 10.13.3

There is one positive thing I noticed with the latest beta driver. It seems audio is now being directly delivered via HDMI, no need to plug in AUX jack separately. If only HDCP would have also worked eventually... But you still can't watch any HDCP protected movies via DisplayLink. *gasp*
__________________
MacBook 12-inch (Early 2016) MacBook Pro 15-inch (2018) HP Elite USB-C-Docking Station G2 (X7W54AA) HP 3005PR Dell Adapter USB-C HDMI/VGA/Ethernet (470-ABQN)

Last edited by Poly; 04-20-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #187
tommiy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 30
Default

Actually I think I understand how I feel and I am not getting over emotional. I was over emotional when this became an enterprise issue and the company I worked for decided that this was the straw that broke the camels back and now no longer supports Macs within the environment at all. You see there was nothing publised in release notes by Apple that upgrading would break anything and so the extra work to rollback alot of Macs resulted in getting given a windows machine instead. They waited a couple of weeks and then decided that they could not continue on without support of knowing it would be corrected and the easiest, fastest, and cheapest solution was to get rid of Macs.

So, its at home now, becoming less of a work horse into a home use only paradigm. This seems to be what apple wants.

So not over emotional at all. I now have a windows machine for work that functions with DisplayLink even after microsoft push out updates. It also has USB-C ports so my Apples accessories function with it. My only loss is needing to use windows during a working day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
You're getting a bit overemotional here, but it's totally understandable. As a private person at home you have more options to choose from, in enterprise environments you have to stick with the approved hardware a while longer, which is even more frustrating.

My guess is that without Apple support there is no easy way to fix this. Hopefully, with the final release of 10.13.5 both parties i.e. DisplayLink and Apple, will have sorted it out. I'm still on 10.13.3

There is one positive thing I noticed with the latest beta driver. It seems audio is now being directly delivered via HDMI, no need to plug in AUX jack separately. If only HDCP would have also worked eventually... But you still can't watch any HDCP protected movies via DisplayLink. *gasp*
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #188
slvrscoobie
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
You see there was nothing publised in release notes by Apple that upgrading would break anything
so you expect apple to release notes how EVERY third party driver and plug in will function after the update?
slvrscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #189
Poly
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
I was over emotional when this became an enterprise issue and the company I worked for decided that this was the straw that broke the camels back and now no longer supports Macs within the environment at all. You see there was nothing publised in release notes by Apple that upgrading would break anything and so the extra work to rollback alot of Macs resulted in getting given a windows machine instead. They waited a couple of weeks and then decided that they could not continue on without support of knowing it would be corrected and the easiest, fastest, and cheapest solution was to get rid of Macs.
The only thing I can criticize is the poor information management from Apple and DisplayLink! There was no warning ahead of the new update.

DisplayLink posted a warning on their download site way too late. Although, this topic existed for months already. A few people even thanked me at Macrumors forums for pointing out this severe bug. I guess, too many people updated carelessly and ended up with a useless DisplayLink device.

Most enterprise IT departments are hostile towards Macs. It has always been like that, because Macs are a niche product and expensive compared to cheap Dell/ HP laptops which you buy in bulk anyway. However, Windows is not always an option. Some software doesn't run on Windows e.g. design tools like Sketch, Flinto, and Xcode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrscoobie View Post
so you expect apple to release notes how EVERY third party driver and plug in will function after the update?
DisplayLink technology is being used across many major vendors. It's not some small 3rd party chop shop piece of hardware. So yes, Apple's QA failed here big.
__________________
MacBook 12-inch (Early 2016) MacBook Pro 15-inch (2018) HP Elite USB-C-Docking Station G2 (X7W54AA) HP 3005PR Dell Adapter USB-C HDMI/VGA/Ethernet (470-ABQN)

Last edited by Poly; 04-21-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #190
tommiy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 30
Default

Apple has not respect for the ecosystem that their products are part of except when those products are apples. It has resulted in the decline in Macs over the years and its going to continue to be the decline of Macs. If Microsoft can perform major upgrades without crippling everything that is integrated their OS then only reason that Apple can not is because they do not wish to.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The only thing I can criticize is the poor information management from Apple and DisplayLink! There was no warning ahead of the new update.

DisplayLink posted a warning on their download site way too late. Although, this topic existed for months already. A few people even thanked me at Macrumors forums for pointing out this severe bug. I guess, too many people updated carelessly and ended up with a useless DisplayLink device.

Most enterprise IT departments are hostile towards Macs. It has always been like that, because Macs are a niche product and expensive compared to cheap Dell/ HP laptops which you buy in bulk anyway. However, Windows is not always an option. Some software doesn't run on Windows e.g. design tools like Sketch, Flinto, and Xcode.


DisplayLink technology is being used across many major vendors. It's not some small 3rd party chop shop piece of hardware. So yes, Apple's QA failed here big.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.