Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #141
Poly
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
I also looked at MST with Displayport. Seems that the chipset works to produce multiple displays but OSX does not support it. I read some one else with boot camp could boot into windows with MST running with dual displays but return to OSX and extension no longer functions. Guess its apple all the way around. You should only work with a single monitor.
That person could have been me. I have an MST Display Port splitter as well.

https://www.i-tec-europe.eu/index.php?t=3&v=492

You can connect two monitors and extend your desktop on both. Works like a charm in Windows 10 via Bootcamp on my MacBook 12-inch. But unfortunately Apple never enabled MST support in macOS for Intel GPUs or via USB-C, however the built-in hardware supports it. Running USB-C in alt-mode gives you direct Display Port access. The MST standard has been around since 2009 came with Display Port 1.2 standard. It's just Apple...

If you're a lucky owner of a Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port (which I am not ), then you can run two displays from a single port. Not sure if uses MST or something else though.

It seems Apple is pushing aggressively Thunderbolt 3 as the only option for any accessories. But that reminds me of the sad story with Thunderbolt 1 and 2. The docks were expensive, hard to get, and with the 10.13.4 update eGPU solutions were rendered obsolete.

If you ran an eGPU from your TB1/2 port you ended up with a blank screen as well last Friday.
__________________
MacBook 12-inch (Early 2016) MacBook Pro 15-inch (2018) HP Elite USB-C-Docking Station G2 (X7W54AA) HP 3005PR Dell Adapter USB-C HDMI/VGA/Ethernet (470-ABQN)
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:51 AM   #142
DLguy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 11
Default

So no solutions for people that have thunderbolt 2 and usb 3.0 on a MacBook Pro?
DLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #143
tommiy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
That person could have been me. I have an MST Display Port splitter as well.

https://www.i-tec-europe.eu/index.php?t=3&v=492

You can connect two monitors and extend your desktop on both. Works like a charm in Windows 10 via Bootcamp on my MacBook 12-inch. But unfortunately Apple never enabled MST support in macOS for Intel GPUs or via USB-C, however the built-in hardware supports it. Running USB-C in alt-mode gives you direct Display Port access. The MST standard has been around since 2009 came with Display Port 1.2 standard. It's just Apple...

If you're a lucky owner of a Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port (which I am not ), then you can run two displays from a single port. Not sure if uses MST or something else though.

It seems Apple is pushing aggressively Thunderbolt 3 as the only option for any accessories. But that reminds me of the sad story with Thunderbolt 1 and 2. The docks were expensive, hard to get, and with the 10.13.4 update eGPU solutions were rendered obsolete.

If you ran an eGPU from your TB1/2 port you ended up with a blank screen as well last Friday.


Geez its getting worse at every corner.

How do you get USB-C to run 2 monitors in extended mode? Without MST they are simply clones with display port. With windows they work extended.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #144
Bob Johnston
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1
Default

I just installed the DisplayLink v4.3 driver (mirror only) and it's at least working for me. Any news on how the "extended display" driver update is coming? and when it might be released?

Thank you,
Bob Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #145
phrogg
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 17
Default My solution for today

Here is what I have done to get something working for myself again. I run 2 40" 4K monitors off my 2015 Macbook.

The first display is off the HDMI port from the AV adapter. The second display I was able to get back up and running by moving to the 4.3 Beta driver that only supports mirror mode. I then opened up the clamshell (which I usually keep closed) and load up SwitchResX. Now I can mirror the clamshell display which I can now set to run at 4K. So I have 3 displays (sorta) running on my macbook 2015 while I ignore the TEENY tiny fonts on the clamshell display itself.
phrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #146
slvrscoobie
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 39
Default

Its not perfect, but why i hadnt thought about it before. Least I have 2 monitors again
Apple TV + HDMI = 2 monitors!
slvrscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #147
mdiorio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1
Default

Such a pain. I switched to the Dell WD-15 dock as that doesn't use DisplayLink. It gets me one external monitor, but not two, even though it has the capability to run two monitors in Windows. It seems that Apple limits it to a single external display on a thunderbolt port for some reason. The only solution I've been able to come up with is buying two Thunderbolt (USB-C) to Display Port adapters and I will have to plug in 3 cables when I dock.
mdiorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #148
tommiy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiorio View Post
Such a pain. I switched to the Dell WD-15 dock as that doesn't use DisplayLink. It gets me one external monitor, but not two, even though it has the capability to run two monitors in Windows. It seems that Apple limits it to a single external display on a thunderbolt port for some reason. The only solution I've been able to come up with is buying two Thunderbolt (USB-C) to Display Port adapters and I will have to plug in 3 cables when I dock.
Yes Apple, unlike Microsoft, does not support MST through TB. Its an OSX limitation. This means you get mirrored monitors on TB but not extended.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #149
Poly
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
Yes Apple, unlike Microsoft, does not support MST through TB. Its an OSX limitation. This means you get mirrored monitors on TB but not extended.
According to this product, macOS does only support dual monitors on a single cable via TB3. I'm not sure if it's MST. But see for yourself: https://www.i-tec-europe.eu/index.php?t=3&v=480

I get cloned screens when I connect an MST adapter via USB-C (USB 3.0 Gen 1) on my MacBook ( not Pro). The pro models have Thunderbolt 3 ports so it should work as pictured on that site.

However, using a MacBook 12-inch – which only has one USB-C port – a DisplayLink docking station was the only solution to connect two external monitors via a single cable. It was the perfect single cable solution until Apple broke it.
__________________
MacBook 12-inch (Early 2016) MacBook Pro 15-inch (2018) HP Elite USB-C-Docking Station G2 (X7W54AA) HP 3005PR Dell Adapter USB-C HDMI/VGA/Ethernet (470-ABQN)

Last edited by Poly; 04-03-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #150
phrogg
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 17
Default How to select which monitor is cloned

So I'm using the 4.3 beta driver on my 10.13.4 system and had clone mode working fine for a day. Then I put the computer to sleep and woke it up and now it wants to clone the wrong monitor. Its cloning my external display and not my built-in display. Anyone know where/how to change that and choose which one is cloned by DisplayLink software?
phrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.