Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.5 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2009, 04:04 AM   #1
SpyderZ

Exclamation 1.5b4 Mac Pro hangs on system sleep, does not put monitors into power saving mode.

Leopard (10.6.1)

1. System hard locks every time attempting to put the machine to sleep with Option + Cmd + Eject.

2.When using the turn off monitor shortcut Ctrl + Shift +Eject, only the video card monitors go into power saving mode. The DisplayLink Monitors stay off in black mode but are still on.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
SpyderZ

Default Also

This also happened on 10.5.8 and everything worked perfectly on 10.5.7.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderZ View Post
Leopard (10.6.1)

1. System hard locks every time attempting to put the machine to sleep with Option + Cmd + Eject.

2.When using the turn off monitor shortcut Ctrl + Shift +Eject, only the video card monitors go into power saving mode. The DisplayLink Monitors stay off in black mode but are still on.
We tested sleeping and haven't seen any problems. Do you have other hardware installed ? As you mention 10.5.7 working and 10.5.8 does not this sounds extremely weird as it would mean it's not depending on the DL drivers ????
Send me the logs and profile please.

Regards - patrick aka Jolly
Old 09-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
SpyderZ

Default Setup

Hi Patrick,

This is my setup.

Six LG L206WU monitors.

Two running on the NVida graphics card.
Four running on DisplayLink USB.

I have a Wacom Tablet and external hard drive attached to USB.

I have uninstalled the DisplayLink drivers and unattached the monitors and the system operates flawlessly. When I put them back, the problem comes back.

1. System Sleep Hangs
2. Reset Hangs
3. Turning monitors off with the Mac shortcut causes monitors to go into blank mode, not power saving mode.

Also, after a refresh start about 5-10 minutes afterwards four warning boxes pop up indicating that four USB drives can not be ejected. Do I want to Eject or Ignore? I hit Eject, and nothing happens.

I know after 10.5.8 there were some improvements on USB drive handling. This is probably what is causing the conflict where the system can't properly ignore the USB drive on the monitors or send the proper shutdown signal.

Last edited by SpyderZ; 09-22-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Patrick

Quote:
Hi Patrick,

This is my setup.

Six LG L206WU monitors.

Two running on the NVida graphics card.
Four running on DisplayLink USB.

I have a Wacom Tablet and external hard drive attached to USB.

I have uninstalled the DisplayLink drivers and unattached the monitors and the system operates flawlessly. When I put them back, the problem comes back.

1. System Sleep Hangs
2. Reset Hangs
3. Turning monitors off with the Mac shortcut causes monitors to go into blank mode, not power saving mode.

Also, after a refresh start about 5-10 minutes afterwards four warning boxes pop up indicating that four USB drives can not be ejected. Do I want to Eject or Ignore? I hit Eject, and nothing happens.

I know after 10.5.8 there were some improvements on USB drive handling. This is probably what is causing the conflict where the system can't properly ignore the USB drive on the monitors or send the proper shutdown signal.
Hmmm that setup should just work. Does it work with just one additional display connected ? The USB Hub you are using was connected to the system with your sleep test without the DL driver right ?
Does the system go to sleep without the DL driver installed but the monitors attached ?

The USB disks you need to ignore. The reason for that is the Monitors contain a virtual cdrom attached via USB which seems to be unreadable by MacOS X.

About the power saving - the displays should go to sleep if they implement all powersaving states. Some displays are known that they don't support all states. We are thinking about a workaround for those displays but it's harder as one might think as other displays then have different problems.

Regards Jolly aka Patrick
Old 09-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
SpyderZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hmmm that setup should just work. Does it work with just one additional display connected ? The USB Hub you are using was connected to the system with your sleep test without the DL driver right ?
Does the system go to sleep without the DL driver installed but the monitors attached ?

The USB disks you need to ignore. The reason for that is the Monitors contain a virtual cdrom attached via USB which seems to be unreadable by MacOS X.

About the power saving - the displays should go to sleep if they implement all powersaving states. Some displays are known that they don't support all states. We are thinking about a workaround for those displays but it's harder as one might think as other displays then have different problems.

Regards Jolly aka Patrick

Q. Does it work with just one additional display connected ?

A. No. Same issues still exist, even with one display connected.

Q. The USB Hub you are using was connected to the system with your sleep test without the DL driver right ?

A. I do not have a USB Hub with my setup. I plug directly into the Mac Pro. When I uninstalled the driver and disconnected the displays and only used the two displays on the graphics card, everything operated properly. Sleep, screen power saving, reset, shutdown, etc. I still had other USB devices, the external hard drive, and Wacom tablet hooked up still when doing this.

Q. Does the system go to sleep without the DL driver installed but the monitors attached ?

A. No. The system attempts to go to sleep, but only makes it half way like usual. I have to hard reset the machine to get back into it. The fans stay on and the power LED does not pulsate like it would while in full sleep mode.

I guess reproducing this error with the screens plugged in and driver uninstalled would indicate a hardware conflict of sorts. What now?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Patrick

Quote:
Q. Does it work with just one additional display connected ?

A. No. Same issues still exist, even with one display connected.

Q. The USB Hub you are using was connected to the system with your sleep test without the DL driver right ?

A. I do not have a USB Hub with my setup. I plug directly into the Mac Pro. When I uninstalled the driver and disconnected the displays and only used the two displays on the graphics card, everything operated properly. Sleep, screen power saving, reset, shutdown, etc. I still had other USB devices, the external hard drive, and Wacom tablet hooked up still when doing this.

Q. Does the system go to sleep without the DL driver installed but the monitors attached ?

A. No. The system attempts to go to sleep, but only makes it half way like usual. I have to hard reset the machine to get back into it. The fans stay on and the power LED does not pulsate like it would while in full sleep mode.

I guess reproducing this error with the screens plugged in and driver uninstalled would indicate a hardware conflict of sorts. What now?
Thanx for your tests, as you guessed it sounds like the USB chips in the displays do not work correctly to the spec.
I'll ask around if somebody at DL is already aware of this issue with the LG displays.

Regards Patrick aka Jolly
Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
SpyderZ

Patrick,

Thanks for all you diligence in this issue. It's highly appreciated and I look forward to a future resolution as I would hate to have to go purchase two more power hungry graphics cards.

If you need me to test any prerelease drivers, I'm available.

Thanks!

Tags
1.5b4, 10.6.1, mac pro