Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > Duplicates
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
MoonDog

Default Screens Frozen/Blank when waking from sleep (snow leopard 10.6.2)

Hi,

This is I believe the same problem described in some posts under this thread.. I'm starting this one to provide the debugging and a little more information on my case.

I had (I believe) version 1.5b3 of the displaylink driver installed, and working successfully, on a snow leopard 10.6.1. After updating the OS to version 10.6.2 I ran into the following problem (Note that the system has 3 monitors. 1 embedded, 1 DVI and 1 VGA through display link):

Almost always when the computer tries to wake up from sleep the two monitors with normal connections 'wake up' and display the appropriate screen but remains frozen with no mouse cursor. The displaylink monitor does not 'wake up' (with LED indicating that it's OFF). The computer is working in the background because I hear notifications of emails being received and other applications but the image is still from pre-sleep.

The solution I have found around this has already been reported too, which is put the computer to sleep again (I press the power button once) and then trying to wake it up again. This usually works and awakes all monitors appropriately and brings the mouse cursor up.

I've uninstalled the driver and installed the latest one (1.5b6) and the problem still remains. I'm temporarily avoiding to use the monitor connected through displaylink till I have the issue fixed.

Attached is the debug log from your Debug Tool application. The unit is from EVGA (I believe more info is included in the debug log). Still, if you need more information please let me know.

Regards,
MoonDog
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (21.5 KB, 749 views)
Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
SpyderZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
Hi,

This is I believe the same problem described in some posts under this thread.. I'm starting this one to provide the debugging and a little more information on my case.

I had (I believe) version 1.5b3 of the displaylink driver installed, and working successfully, on a snow leopard 10.6.1. After updating the OS to version 10.6.2 I ran into the following problem (Note that the system has 3 monitors. 1 embedded, 1 DVI and 1 VGA through display link):

Almost always when the computer tries to wake up from sleep the two monitors with normal connections 'wake up' and display the appropriate screen but remains frozen with no mouse cursor. The displaylink monitor does not 'wake up' (with LED indicating that it's OFF). The computer is working in the background because I hear notifications of emails being received and other applications but the image is still from pre-sleep.

The solution I have found around this has already been reported too, which is put the computer to sleep again (I press the power button once) and then trying to wake it up again. This usually works and awakes all monitors appropriately and brings the mouse cursor up.

I've uninstalled the driver and installed the latest one (1.5b6) and the problem still remains. I'm temporarily avoiding to use the monitor connected through displaylink till I have the issue fixed.

Attached is the debug log from your Debug Tool application. The unit is from EVGA (I believe more info is included in the debug log). Still, if you need more information please let me know.

Regards,
MoonDog
I too have this issue. I resolve the issue by unplugging the DisplayLink cable for five seconds then plug it back in. Serious pain in the butt...it's end of year...where are the GA release of the drivers and 64bit support??
Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
legege

Arrow Any update?

Where are you DisplayLink? We've haven't had any update since late October?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
MCV

Default Similar problem

I had a similar, if not the same problem. Here's what I did and I have been trouble free since. First off, I will say that everything I did was OS X maintenance-related.

The first thing I did was to do an SMC reset. Not sure how to do that? Go to http://snowleopardtips.blogspot.com. It's a new blog with hardly any posts yet but I'm hoping it has potential.

The second thing I did was a Safe Boot to re-org and repair. It's a simple process -- just hold down the shift key and press power. Keep holding the shift key until you see the spinning gear appear under the apple.

The last thing I did was a PRAM reset. While the machine is off, hit the power button and then VERY QUICKLY hold down the "P", "R", "OPTION", and "COMMAND" keys. Keep them held down through 2 tones then release. Occasionally the PRAM becomes corrupt and can prevent the machine from operating normally. It's at this point that you ZAP the PRAM. All this does is erase certain parts of the information that is stored there, which forces the system to reload the PRAM with new, and uncorrupt, information and, hopefully, the machine will resume normal function.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
petemac

I'm running 10.6.2 and since upgrading to Snow leopard had had no problems with sleep/waking up of the screens (a nice surprise after regular locked up screens in Leopard). However, after a recent Time Machine backup I have started getting the the frozen cursor after inactivity and nothing I have done so far, based on recommendations in various threads and boards has cured it. I reinstalled the latest Displaylink driver to no avail.

One thing I have noticed is that before the problems started I had different behaviour when starting my Mac. At that time when the Mac was booting up the two screens would fire up so that they were both showing the default OSX wallpaper behind the login window. Since the freezing has started the second screen only fires up after I have entered my login and it has been accepted, and even then it takes a while.

This got me thinking that maybe it is the load order of the driver/extension that is affecting the startup and maybe the sleep issue as well. Can one change the load order, and could this be a factor?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Pawel

Thumbs up

We are happy to inform that there is a new 1.6 Beta 3 driver available for download from here.

This release has fixed a GUI freeze issue when resuming from sleep on some systems.

Regards
Old 09-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Pawel

Lightbulb Duplicate

This issue has been discussed here.