Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
steve_p

Default app windows relocate with KVM

I have a dual-head KVM with 2 PCs attached. One of the PCs has a DisplayLink device attached, so that PC has THREE monitors. The PC was running XP-SP3 and everything workde great. I upgraded the machine to Win7 Enterprise and now I'm having problems.
The issue is that application windows (Explorer, Outlook, Chrome, etc) don't 'remember' where they were when I switch the KVM focus from PC1 to PC2. Under XP, the 3rd (DisplayMate) monitor always showed my Outlook window, regardless of which PC was driving the 2 screens connected to the KVM. Now when I switch PCs to the machine without DisplayMate, ALL open windows migrate to the 3rd DisplayMate screen. It's like that DisplayMate monitor becomes the Primary monitor; all desktop icons and app windows move to it.
When I switch the KVM back to the Win7 PC with DisplayMate, the windows don't move back to the correct screens--the icons move back to the Primary monitor, but the Outlook/Explorer/Word/whatever windows may/may not move back where I had them prior to changing KVM focus.
I downloaded the support tool but can't find an email address to send it, so I've attached the file here.
Thanks for your thoughts....
Attached Files
File Type: zip ISB-POWELLW7_20110831_075438.zip (274.8 KB, 0 views)
steve_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
steve_p

Default I installed the v6 drivers--

I saw Wim's post about new drivers after I posted my issue, so I downloaded and installed v6.

The new drivers did not resolve my problem.

When I switch from PC1 (Win7, with DisplayLink v6 driving a third screen) to PC2, all the windows from the other 2 screens migrate to the DisplayLink window, as though it is the Primary screen.
So on the 2 screens connected to the KVM, with PC2 I see my XP desktop. On the 3rd screen, I see the Win7 desktop, icons, and all running applications. I can't interact with the 3rd screen, since the KVM is switched to PC2.
when I switch the KVM to PC1 again, the Primary screen moves back to screen #1, and all the apps and windows move, too, instead of retaining the placement I arranged.
I know I'm being very wordy, but I'm not sure how else to explain it.
steve_p is offline   Reply With Quote