Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 02-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
paddymacmahon

Default Attached displaylink monitor causes frequent system freezes

Hi,

I recently purchased a usb3 monitor to use as an extended display. I have installed the latest displaylink drivers and the monitor connects successfully. However, opening any new application usually (around 70% of the time) causes the whole system to hang (screen freezes, completely unresponsive), and I have no choice but to force shutdown with the power button. It renders the configuration completely unusable. The screen works as it should on other (windows and chromeOS) laptops.

My system:

Dell Latitude E7440, i7, 16GB
Xubuntu 16.04.3 (not secure boot, not dual boot)
DisplayLink 4.1 driver
Asus MB168 screen

Attached is the latest output from DLSupportTool

I tried adding intel_iommu=off to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line of /etc/default/grub as suggested in a thread outlining a similar problem, but the same behaviour was exhibited.

Any help gratefully received!
Attached Files
File Type: zip paddy-E7440_2018-02-22T15:53:08.568480.zip (219.2 KB, 0 views)
paddymacmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
paddymacmahon

So, tried both workarounds suggested here: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1181623
with no joy.

I also tried live cds of different distributions - turns out linux mint 18.3 works better (not perfect - there are cursor trails at times, but I can live with that...) so I've created a bootable usb stick (not live) which I can use, and which works with the DisplayLink monitor. I'll spend some time with it before making a plunge and installing a new OS to my laptop. In the meantime perhaps someone will come up with a fix...
paddymacmahon is offline   Reply With Quote