Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #21
eyan

EDIT #1: Nevermind it's still slow on network transfers...getting 2-5 KB/sec

Edit #2: It looks like I found the right combination of Chipset and USB3.0 drivers that resolves browsing and network share slowness:

Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 9.3.0.1011
(I was using a newer version of this and network shares were slow)
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0.8.251

I finally figured out why I was getting slow ethernet performance. When I had installed the Intel 7 Series chipset drivers, it somehow missed the USB portion of the drivers so I was using the generic "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB" drivers instead of the "7 Series/C216 USB" drivers.

Make sure you guys update with the latest 7 series chipset drivers from Intel. This fixes the issue.

Last edited by eyan; 04-26-2013 at 11:33 PM.
eyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
XYZZY

Unhappy Still Slow

I'm now unable to get the Ethernet adapter to work with anything but the 7.2 driver, 7.2 seems to install some firmware update to the dock. Now reverting to anything previously refuses to allow the Ethernet adapter to be enumerated correctly. It comes up as an invalid device with anything but the 7.2.

Tried: 7.2 M0, 7.1 M1 & 7.0 M3, now only 7.2 M0 enumerates the USB (with awful performance).

The Ethernet down speed is now capped at about 50KB/sec.

I've also made sure (very important for video performance) in device manager, ensured that the USB 3 dock is enumerated correctly.

Within Device Manager, select "VIEW DEVICES BY CONNECTION" and expand it until you find the Intel Extensible USB 3.0 driver. (If your laptop/device uses this chipset)

Make sure that the Video and Ethernet appear under a USB 3.0 hub. Otherwise you get blurry screens, and poor Ethernet performance when your screens are busy refreshing. I had to refresh my USB 3.0 drivers previously to fix this.

My temporary fix, plug in a USB 2.0 Ethernet adapter into the dock until this is sorted out, I mostly use my X1 Carbon for Internet work, so 100Mbps is faster than my internet connection anyways. Internal file backups and copies, still painful.
XYZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #23
Paulie

Ok I couldn't stand it any more so I installed the Intel USB drivers following the instructions on Plugable. Note the driver version has been updated several times since they published their notes.

Anyway, so far so good ethernet performance seems normal again, and BONUS: no more mouse lag.

Backup to NAS seems to be working normally.

Now that I've done this, I'm not sure what I will do when new drivers are released by DisplayLink...
but for now, I'm happy.

Using Lenovo X1 Carbon and USB 3.0 Dock.

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I was wrong. Seemed like it was working better for a while as the backup seemed to be running, but it crapped out again. Large files across Ethernet just don't work. Also noticed occasional mouse lag/freeze but this still seems better than before.

Last edited by Paulie; 04-30-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: new info
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #24
RonV42

Any idea of when this will be fixed? I had to load the previous driver on my Surface PRO to get the Ethernet adapter to work again. But going back to the previous driver brings the slow launch issue of the metro apps and using software rendering in the browser vs. GPU rendering to speed up metro apps.
RonV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #25
Wim

We're working on getting a release out mid May that should fix this for the users seeing the problem. Some teething trouble with the new Ethernet driver model that was introduced in 7.2.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #26
aluke4105

Default HP Folio 13 no ethernet connection

HP Ultrabook connected to HP docking station - upgraded to 7.2 software and like the others no ethernet connection...on two similar setups. The video crash issue with the previous display link driver appears to be better but ethernet is not.
aluke4105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #27
RonV42

Downloaded the updated driver 7.2 M1 and everything is working great now on my Microsoft Surface PRO. Thanks for this update. Over the last two days I have put my device though the ringer. Copying huge files to and from my home server, changing video settings, putting it into suspend/sleep and it seems that all the issues I was seeing are now gone.
RonV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #28
emveepee

I just installed 7.2 M1 and it seems to have corrected the speed issues I was having too.

Thanks.

Martin
emveepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #29
Cakey

Default 7.2M1 install challenges

7.2M1 does seem to have fixed/improved the ethernet issues on the HP3005-PR its certainly usable now.

However installation and configuration was a nightmare:

(My Config is Win7-64bit + HP Folio13-2000 + HP3005-PR DOCK + USB32DVIPRO + 3 Monitors)

After installation 2 out of 3 monitors (2 monitors on the HP3005-PR) were non functional, listed in device manager but not working or showing in the screen setup tool, the 3rd Monitor (USB32DVIPRO) was tied to the laptop monitor as a clone and would not let me run it as a 2nd monitor only a clone of the laptop.

Ran the upgrade again & rebooted, same result, 2 out of 3 non functional. Powered down, powered off the HP3005-PR dock unplugged it from the laptop, re-plugged and re-powered same result.

Ran the upgrade again, same result only one working monitor.

Checking in device manager showed that the DisplayLink Display Adapter (4300 & 430A) and HP USB3.0 dock devices were all running a 6.xxx (2012 dated) driver version, prior to the upgrade they were 7.xxx from 7.2M0 and working fine. The partially working USB32DVIPRO was running a newer 7.2.47157.0 version.

Only after manually selecting update driver on one of the HP devices in device manager did it find the new driver and install the update (and upgrade the dock firmware) and that bought all the driver versions to the same level and finally 3 working monitors again. Although the monitor ordering/numbering has changed again and my desktop layout is trashed (minor annoyance).

So it seems to work albeit not smoothly in terms of running the update....

Kate

Last edited by Cakey; 05-13-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Clarifications & Minor edits
Cakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
Paulie

OK I installed the new 7.2M1 driver package and this time I do believe most of my issues are resolved.

Lenovo X1 Carbon W8 and USB3.0 Dock

Ethernet performance looks normal (backup is running and transferring large files to NAS works fine)
1920 x 1200 display over DVI seems fine

I do still suffer occasional mouse lag/stutter. Happens only every few minutes so not terribly annoying now. I can't seem to force it eg when running part screen or full screen HD video so difficult to analyze. In fact, on the few occasions I noticed it (like just now typing this), there was very little other graphics-related activity going on. Just a frozen mouse pointer for around 1 second or less, and when it recovers the mouse jumps to where I assume it would have landed if it hadn't froze.

I did install the Intel USB Host Controller earlier not sure if that matters. After the Displaylink update, I reverted to the Microsoft controller - seems no different with limited testing.

Regarding Cakey's install issues - as suggested in the manual I ran the installation first with the dock disconnected. Then reboot twice (once including a power-down of the dock). Not sure if this is any different or matters but the install seemed to run smoothly.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote