Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 10-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #51
jnl

Default All screens go blank once USB-DVI plugged in

Add me to the list of High Sierra users with the same or similar problem.Before High Sierra all was fine for a year or two with 4 screens counting the DVI-USB one. Now problems since I began running High Sierra on 21.5 inch iMac. Before High Sierra and I had 4 screens working. In addition to the USB3-DVI screen, the other 3 working screens were the built-in iMac had one connected by HDMI from my Thunderbolt extender and another screen connected by Thunderbolt from the iMac itself. I was able to install newest 4.0.0 extension (85514) without security problem. When the USB-DVI adapter is plugged in all 4 screens are blank, and when I unplug the adapter, then the other 3 screens are working again.

Version: 4.0.0 (85514)
Last Modified: 10/27/17, 11:39 AM
Bundle ID: com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver
Loaded: Yes
Get Info String: DisplayLink Driver 4.0.0 (85514) - Copyright © 2003 - 2017 DisplayLink (UK) Ltd. All rights reserved.
Obtained from: Identified Developer
Kind: Intel
Architectures: x86_64
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Kext Version: 4.0.0 (85514)
Load Address: 18446743521819300000
Loadable: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied
Signed by: Developer ID Application: DisplayLink Corp (73YQY62QM3), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

I am experiencing a similar problem; you are not alone. For 2 years I have run 2 DisplayLink adaptors each driving a display without major issues while connected to a 27" iMac 5k. The machine is also connected to two external displays driven directly by the iMac. After updating to 10.13, evening running the latest driver, the machine is experiencing similar issues.

If I connect either of the two adaptors I regularly use, the iMac's built-in display and the additional two displays being driven by DisplayPort from the built-in ThunderBolt ports immediately blank. As soon as zero adaptors are connected, the built-in display and Display Port driven displays come back to life, but are at the login screen. If I log in and plug either device back into any USB port, immediate blank screens and back to the login screen once disconnecting the device.[/QUOTE]
jnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #52
Johan

I also have the exact same problem.

I have been running 4 external screens and my macbook pro late 2016 internal screen without issue and am using two displayport screens and two displaylink adapters. Everything is connected through a belkin thunderbolt 3 dock.

Now I updated to high sierra 10.13.1, and when I plug in all the display link adapters all screens go black.

However. If I plug in my two 4k 60p displayport screens and no displaylink screens, then it works as it should. Also if I only plug in the displaylink screens, but not the displayport screens it also works as it should. It seems to be the combination of two external displayport screens together with two displaylink screens. No matter if its though the belkin dock or usb c adapters.

Displaylink adapter 1 info:
USB3.0 UHD DisplayPort Adapter:

Product ID: 0x4301
Vendor ID: 0x17e9 (DisplayLink (UK) Ltd.)
Version: 35.80
Serial Number: 000100160348300
Speed: Up to 5 Gb/sec
Manufacturer: DisplayLink
Location ID: 0x02620000 / 7
Current Available (mA): 900
Current Required (mA): 504
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Displaylink adapter 2 info:
USB3.0 UHD DisplayPort Adapter:

Product ID: 0x4301
Vendor ID: 0x17e9 (DisplayLink (UK) Ltd.)
Version: 35.80
Serial Number: 000100160348266
Speed: Up to 5 Gb/sec
Manufacturer: DisplayLink
Location ID: 0x02500000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 900
Current Required (mA): 504
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

I am using displaylink 4.0.0 drivers.

Edit: Extra info
If I run two displayport monitors and connect 1 displaylink monitor all screens also go black.

If I run two display link monitors and 1 displayport monitor I get this situation where one displaylink is kind of ok, the other not ok, displayport screen and the internal screen black.
Mouse can be moved.

Last edited by Johan; 11-09-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #53
howardpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi,

If you are logged out when connecting the DisplayLink screen(s) then you've likely hit a macOS bug that is triggered by mirroring screens. It's probably the same issue it's currently happening with the eGPU kit.

On some systems mirror may be already set for the external screens so every time they are plugged in you'll automatically hit this issue.
A possible workaround is to delete all persistence information, so at the next plug in a default extended state can be chosen by macOS.

This is how to delete persistence information from Terminal. Please note that the following commands if entered incorrectly may delete any file on your system:

To clean user preferences:

rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.*.plist

To clean global persistence:

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

After a reboot the display settings will reset to default, which should be extending to the right and not mirroring.

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo,

Many Thanks for the hints about mirroring! This was the last piece of the puzzle in order to get my DisplayLink adapter working once again after I upgraded to High-Sierra.

Howard
howardpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:21 AM   #54
Averell

MacOS Version: 10.13.2
Computer Make and Build Year: MacbookPro 2017 13"
Displaylink Driver Version: 4.0
Displaylink Device: Dell D3100
What You Are Experiencing: Samsung SyncMaster SA450 was detected as SMS22A450, and only have max resolution of 1680x1050
What is Expected: Monitor model should be identified correctly, and 1920x1200 is supported.
Averell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #55
vallica

Hi,

I just bought a Ugreen USB 2.0 to VGA adapter for my iMac 27 2010 running on High Sierra.

I have installed DisplayLink Installer 85514.dmg drivers but the display is broken into the finder, please have a look at this screenshot :

Thanks a lot for your help, have a nice day.
vallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #56
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallica View Post
Hi,

I just bought a Ugreen USB 2.0 to VGA adapter for my iMac 27 2010 running on High Sierra.

I have installed DisplayLink Installer 85514.dmg drivers but the display is broken into the finder, please have a look at this screenshot :

Thanks a lot for your help, have a nice day.
Hi,

Unfortunately this issue is expected on any systems not supporting Metal. This is due to a limitation in macOS.
Metal-compatible systems use the new Window Server that avoids this issue.

Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #57
vallica

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for your reply, so this is a software bug that I will encounter with all adapter using the displaylink chipset ?
vallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #58
wa2flq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi,

Unfortunately this issue is expected on any systems not supporting Metal. This is due to a limitation in macOS.
Metal-compatible systems use the new Window Server that avoids this issue.

Carlo
Hi Carlo,

So for those of us with Mac's without Metal or Metal 2 support our USB DisplayLink Adapters will see some display artifacts, correct?

Do any impair the functionality of the display/cause panics or are they for the most part cosmetic in nature?
wa2flq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #59
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2flq View Post
Hi Carlo,

So for those of us with Mac's without Metal or Metal 2 support our USB DisplayLink Adapters will see some display artifacts, correct?

Do any impair the functionality of the display/cause panics or are they for the most part cosmetic in nature?
Most remaining issues are cosmetic, we keep an updated list of the most important issues here: http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...rticles/949426

I hope you'll appreciate the effort of transparency here: I'm not aware of any other product suffering from the same issues coming clean about these compatibility problems.

Eh.

Regards
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #60
Johan

@Carlo

Hi! Any news on why screens go black when using display port screens together with displaylink screens?

Its super frustrating to be back on only two external screens after the upgrade to High Sierra.
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote