Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
jjarz

Angry Carbon X1 - different problems on USB 2.0 & 3.0 since windows 8.1 OS update last wk

I am using Carbon X1 old generation (2013) with the Lenovo USB 3.0 dock.

Windows OS has an auto update last week (Wed?) I did a reboot Friday and since then have had two problems:

2.0 usb port (which i've always used): after 15 minutes of use the monitors get dropped. I unplug/reconnect and it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. May require a reboot then works again for 15 minutes.

3.0 usb port (just started using since the problem): works fine for 15 minutes then the mouse gets dropped. I have since connected a mouse to the usb 2.0 CPU (vs one on the front of the dock); hasn't dropped in the last 10 minutes or so (fingers crossed).

Each time i connect the dock i hear the 4 tone Windows system alert to indicate the peripherals are being recognized. When the monitors (or mouse or dropped) i heard the 3 tone alert indicating they've been removed.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the DisplayLink 8.1 udpdate. I've updated the DisplayLink firmware. I tried going to safe mode & removing the Displaylink program but i receive an error prompt (apparently Displaylinks installer app can't run in safe mode).

Out of ideas - please help...
Attached Files
File Type: zip JRE-LAPTOP_20140317_072559.zip (721.1 KB, 1 views)
jjarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
jjarz

Have a number of Lenovo system updates outstanding - will run first to see if that resolves the problem(s)
Old 03-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
jjarz

Ran the system updates - everything worked fine for rest of Monday & all day yesterday.

Last night was another Win 8.1 auto-update; shut-down to finish the install and now having the same problem upon reboot this am.

2.0 port will drop monitors after 30 minutes or so; 3.0 port intermittently dropping the bluetooth mouse. working using 3.0 port with corded mouse in 2.0 port (vs bluetooth usb dongle in front of DisplayLink) but not as desired and incredibly annoying.

Any ideas???
Old 03-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

Can you try installing the latest firmware for the dock?
http://support.lenovo.com/en_GB/prod...DocID=PD023761

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
jjarz

Thanks James.

I did but same somewhat unpredictable issue. After reboot 2.0 works for 30 minutes before monitors are dropped (device mgr screen shot uploaded).

Switching to 3.0 hub have to use a wired mouse in the 2.0 hub - my scanner & disk drive peripherals drop and reload intermittently - monitors may drop then have to reboot and start all over.

Again, the only change i recall was the Windows 8.1 OS update over a week ago and it's been problems ever since.

Would the alpha version of the Displaylink software be worth trying?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Device Manager.JPG (67.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
jjarz

The problem is getting worse - is giving the alpha Displaylink software a try worthwhile?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
jjarz

well alpha produced the same results
Old 03-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #8
JamesH

Hi,

Will look into this first thing tomorrow.

Can you send me the output of the support tool (http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269) whilst you have the 7.6 Alpha installed?

Also can you let me know what the recent Windows updates were that seem to have provoked this issue?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
jjarz

Surprisingly seamless warranty exchange of the USB 3.0 hub with Lenovo - 2 days in and no reoccurrence of the problem.

Thanks for your help