Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 02-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
foxleigh81

Question High-end GPU plus DisplayLink

Morning, all.

I have my workstation set up with multiple computers, with a dell dock linking them all together via a USB switch. This effectively allows me to swap all 3 monitors, my speakers and my keyboard and mouse over with a single button push.

This is incredibly practical for me and I'd rather not lose it, however, I've noticed when playing games on my gaming PC (which has a high-end Nvidia GPU) that my CPU gets very hot and I get graphical glitches.

This is making me wonder if the DisplayLink being my primary connection point is causing my CPU to do all of the graphics processing and not my GPU. Is this the case? If so is there a way I can tell my computer to only use the DisplayLink to run the monitors and actually use the GPU to process the graphics?

Here are my specs for those who would request those things:

Windows 10
Core I7
32gb RAM
2x Nvidia GTX 980Ti

I'm also about to upgrade to an NVidia RTX 2080Ti, will that make any difference or will I just be bypassing an even more powerful card?
foxleigh81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hello,

The short answer is no.
But if you wish, here are some details.
The desktop is composed of different windowed applications and the OS sends the computing of the pixels to the GPU, regardless of how your displays are connected.
In the case of DisplayLink, we then encode the content and ship it to the hardware video decoder in the docking station. Today, on your configuration, if you have an Intel iGPU on your i7, that encoding takes place on it too. If you don't, then the encoding is CPU based.
AMD, and nVidia GPU are scheduled for future releases.

DisplayLink driver doesn't compute graphics, we get from the OS which gave it to the GPU to do.

I'd recommend trying to have one monitor connected to the graphics card directly, and setting that monitor as main display. Does the behaviour change? I'd like to understand if you're affected by something being addressed currently...

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
foxleigh81

Thanks for your reply. It turns out my CPU cooler was faulty. Nothing to do with DisplayLink
foxleigh81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
Glenn Sliva

I have a similar problem.

Setup: Dell Precision 3520 Notebook with I7-7700HQ (2.80 GHz Q4)
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Ram
Nvidia Quadro M620 Display Card with 2GB GDDR5 memory
Intel HD Graphics 630
USB Type C port plus others etc

At the office I connect to a Dell Dock D6000 into the USB-C port on the notebook 3520.
The Dell monitor P4317Q Monitor is connected using the high bandwidth DisplayPort to DisplayPort on the D6000 dock with keyboard + mouse antennae, Ethernet Internet cable, power too. All feeds through the C Port on the notebook.

The Dock through DisplayLink only allows the Intel HD Graphics 630 to pass to the monitor never using the high power of the onboard Nvidia Card. If I'm running for example AutoCad 3D or pushing 4K UHD video. I run this on the notebook alone and confirm it's using the Nvidia Card for high power 3D or I force it to use the Nvidia Card in settings.

My solution is to direct connect the monitor using a DisplayPort to USB-C and then connect the Dell Dock 6000 to a USB3.0 port. Don't need the dock just connect the monitor and several connections including separate power. Seems like a waste to have the dock this way.

Anyway your thoughts and help are much appreciated. Sounds like a Windows 10 Pro and Nvidia Problem not DisplayLink.

Thanks for you help in advance.
Glenn Sliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Glenn,

This is targeted to be behaving correctly in the OS for Windows 10 v1903 (19H1 builds available today through Windows Insiders): content will be able to be rendered on the more powerful GPU (through OS application selection) even when the "main" display (with the system tray) is an indirect display (like DisplayLink, Miracast...). The bug which was removing all displays from the secondary GPU has been identified.
We are still meeting challenges with AutoCAD though, which seems to crash at startup. We're working with Microsoft on this to understand if this is an application graphics adapter enumeration or OS issue. We might need to engage with AutoCAD.

In the meantime, changing your "main display" to be the laptop should help.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote