Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 10-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #41
7rendar

Default freeze when lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb1451 View Post
MacOS Version: 10.13 (17A365)
Computer Make and Build Year: 2015 Mac Book Pro 2015 A1398
Displaylink Driver Version: 4.0.0 (85514)
Displaylink Device: Toshiba dynadock® U3.0 PA3927U-1PRP
What You Are Experiencing: When I try to lock my MacBook it keeps crashing. Sometimes trying to lock sometimes after its locked. This issue does not happen when I am disconnect from the dock.
I have the same issue.

MacOS Version: macOS 10.13 (17A405)
Computer Make and Build Year: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
Displaylink Driver Version: 4.0.0 (85514)
Displaylink Device: Targus ACP70EU
What You Are Experiencing: Macbook keeps crashing after I lock computer. Lock and unlock without dock connected fixes the issue until next reboot.
7rendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #42
JimLondon1

Default USB 3.0 to VGA Blank Screens

I am running 2 x VGA displays via USB-C-to-VGA and HDMI-to-VGA adaptors from a late 2012 Mac Mini on High Sierra. I am trying to run a 3rd VGA display via a DisplayLink USB 3-to-VGA adaptor. The driver was initially blocked by security but I clicked allow. It is recognised in the System Hardware list - screen grab attached. Also attached, a Verbose report using your Support Tool.

The screens are being shared with other computers via an Adder KVM switch but I've tried adding the 3rd monitor/DisplayLink adaptor directly to a stand alone VGA monitor with the same result. All screens are fairly ancient 17in Dell IXODs

Connecting the adapter alone causes no change. Attaching the display to the adaptor causes the other two screens to go dark and the system to be completely unresponsive, after which a forced shutdown is needed. Hence, the report was created with only the adaptor attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DisplayLink Recognised in System Hardware.jpg (91.8 KB, 4 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip James’s Mac mini_20171016_111127.zip (445.1 KB, 10 views)
JimLondon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #43
Volltage

Same problem here.
Volltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #44
rmc2000

I am experiencing a similar problem; you are not alone. For 2 years I have run 2 DisplayLink adaptors each driving a display without major issues while connected to a 27" iMac 5k. The machine is also connected to two external displays driven directly by the iMac. After updating to 10.13, evening running the latest driver, the machine is experiencing similar issues.

If I connect either of the two adaptors I regularly use, the iMac's built-in display and the additional two displays being driven by DisplayPort from the built-in ThunderBolt ports immediately blank. As soon as zero adaptors are connected, the built-in display and Display Port driven displays come back to life, but are at the login screen. If I log in and plug either device back into any USB port, immediate blank screens and back to the login screen once disconnecting the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLondon1 View Post
I am running 2 x VGA displays via USB-C-to-VGA and HDMI-to-VGA adaptors from a late 2012 Mac Mini on High Sierra. I am trying to run a 3rd VGA display via a DisplayLink USB 3-to-VGA adaptor. The driver was initially blocked by security but I clicked allow. It is recognised in the System Hardware list - screen grab attached. Also attached, a Verbose report using your Support Tool.

The screens are being shared with other computers via an Adder KVM switch but I've tried adding the 3rd monitor/DisplayLink adaptor directly to a stand alone VGA monitor with the same result. All screens are fairly ancient 17in Dell IXODs

Connecting the adapter alone causes no change. Attaching the display to the adaptor causes the other two screens to go dark and the system to be completely unresponsive, after which a forced shutdown is needed. Hence, the report was created with only the adaptor attached.
rmc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #45
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi,

In case of log out when connecting displays, your system may be mirroring. This is not yet supported in High Sierra.
In some cases (for example VGA screens or projectors) this is the default behaviour so there is no workaround yet.

However in many cases it's possible to remove a saved layout by following the instructions in http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...ticles/1812676

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #46
rmc2000

Hi Carlo and thank you for the script.

On rebooting, the two displays connected via USB did display an image for about 2 seconds. Then all displays went black. On disconnecting all USB displays, I was again presented with the login screen. Since the display preferences had been reset, all three displays driven directly by the iMac were now mirrored. On turning mirroring off and plugging the USB displays in, again all displays immediately blanked and will not return until the USB displays are disconnected.

An interesting artifact or side effect since running the script: the time and date in the menu bar are corrupt. They were not prior to running the script. I am not sure one has anything to do with the other, but felt it was worth mention in case there is a connection. To better explain this corruption, I've attached an image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi,

In case of log out when connecting displays, your system may be mirroring. This is not yet supported in High Sierra.
In some cases (for example VGA screens or projectors) this is the default behaviour so there is no workaround yet.

However in many cases it's possible to remove a saved layout by following the instructions in http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...ticles/1812676

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,
Carlo
Attached Images
File Type: png date.png (8.0 KB, 2 views)
rmc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:58 AM   #47
jdunk54nl

Computer Make and Build Year: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) 2.9 core i7, 16gb memory
Displaylink Driver Version: 4.0.0
Displaylink Device: HP 3005pr
What You Are Experiencing:

The graphics cards on the displaylink displays will not switch to the radeon 560 card from the intel card no matter the energy saving settings for auto switching. The built in display will switch to the radeon card but the displaylinks will stay on the intel card and the computer will try to use both cards.

This creates issues when I try to open a program that needs to use the radeon card like adobe premiere. It causes these high graphics demand programs to crash or freeze.

I have tried reinstalling a few times. It worked great on sierra and would switch appropriately. I tested this on another identical computer running sierra and the graphics card would switch for all displays when it switched.

Any thoughts? I did not get any message to enable anything in the security dialog preferences.

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 10-25-2017 at 07:37 PM.
jdunk54nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #48
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunk54nl View Post
Computer Make and Build Year: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) 2.9 core i7, 16gb memory
Displaylink Driver Version: 4.0.0
Displaylink Device: HP 3005pr
What You Are Experiencing:

The graphics cards on the displaylink displays will not switch to the radeon 560 card from the intel card no matter the energy saving settings for auto switching. The built in display will switch to the radeon card but the displaylinks will stay on the intel card and the computer will try to use both cards.

This creates issues when I try to open a program that needs to use the radeon card like adobe premiere. It causes these high graphics demand programs to crash or freeze.

I have tried reinstalling a few times. It worked great on sierra and would switch appropriately. I tested this on another identical computer running sierra and the graphics card would switch for all displays when it switched.

Any thoughts? I did not get any message to enable anything in the security dialog preferences.
This is an interesting issue. Point is, with High Sierra Apple has introduced support for eGPUs. This means that applications will have to handle multiple concurrent GPUs very soon.
I'd expect professional grade apps to do that sometime next year: even Adobe has now quicker release cycles.

Apple has actually stated that full eGPU support should arrive this coming Spring. In DisplayLink we're looking forwards to this as there are some quirks at the moment while mixing GPUs (or not mixing them as in the case of the mirror issue).
For this reason GPU switching is not a feature of our drivers at the moment. We'll continue looking at it as the operating system evolves and the early multiple GPU issues are hopefully resolved.

Kind regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #49
JimLondon1

Default USB 3.0 to VGA Blank Screens

Hi Carlos,

Yes, I'm using the CSV-2604 via a DVI-to-VGA adapter and a standard VGA cable to an old Dell XIOD monitor at 1280x1024 (two of which are happily being driven by the HDMI and USB-C outputs already). I followed you instructions re uninstalling and reinstalling and also for running the script but all to no avail. Connecting only the DVI-to-VGA adaptor is sufficient to plunge all screens into darkness. As other have said, disconnecting the 2604 brings the screens back but to the log in screen.

While we await an Apple fix are there any other products you offer that would allow me to get a 3rd/4th screen from my Mac Mini?

Best,
Jim
JimLondon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #50
jdunk54nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
This is an interesting issue. Point is, with High Sierra Apple has introduced support for eGPUs. This means that applications will have to handle multiple concurrent GPUs very soon.
I'd expect professional grade apps to do that sometime next year: even Adobe has now quicker release cycles.

Apple has actually stated that full eGPU support should arrive this coming Spring. In DisplayLink we're looking forwards to this as there are some quirks at the moment while mixing GPUs (or not mixing them as in the case of the mirror issue).
For this reason GPU switching is not a feature of our drivers at the moment. We'll continue looking at it as the operating system evolves and the early multiple GPU issues are hopefully resolved.

Kind regards,
Carlo
I couldn't get it to work by making the external the main display. Same issue, adobe premiere will try to open and then crash. Unplug the displaylink and it works great. Plug in a different identical mac only sierra and works great.

Is there a way you can tie the displalink to the radeon card (or the higher graphics card) so that when it is plugged in it will only use that card instead of the intel integrated card? I am assuming most people that plug into a displaylink do not care about power consumption at that point as they are plugged into power too.

Do you have a timeline of when this will be sorted out? If it isn't soon I think I am going to revert back to sierra.
jdunk54nl is offline   Reply With Quote