Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #461
slvrscoobie

Public Beta is out!
ok - installed the PB 18A347e - uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted.
Wait, i unplugged and replugged in the usb device. now the screen is on! i can see a mouse. but its black like it was back on 13.4.
If I screen shot the other monitor, it shows the backround image, and menu bar, but on the display its just black.

Edit - Just Uninstalled - REBOOT - Reinstall beta 5, REboot - TA M-Fin DA!! 2 SCREENS NO AIRPLAY!!

Last edited by slvrscoobie; 07-31-2018 at 11:13 PM.
slvrscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:51 PM   #462
Alanant

I can confirm that it is now working. Tested on a 2017 and 2012 Macbook Pro.
Thanks Displaylink for your perseverance.
Alanant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:18 PM   #463
sla3k

I can confirm too, it is working now. MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
Finally DisplayLink folks did it, many thanks!
sla3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:45 AM   #464
vscout

Default 2018 mbp

Has anyone gotten the ASUS MB169+ to work with a 2018 MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar (The latest model). I installed the beta 5 and followed all instruction but when I plug the monitors cable into my USB-C hub, the display either blinks orange or will alternate blinking orange and white.
vscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #465
Sofla David

I can also report it working with Mojave Public Beta 4 and DisplayLink Beta 5 drivers on my 2013 13" MacBook Air.

I've seen that flashing behavior when connected to the USB-C ports. I believe it depends on the cable and/or USB-C to USB adapter you are using. apparently some cables/adapters don't supply enough power to keep the monitor powered up.

I'm about to upgrade my MacBook Air to a 2018 MacBook Pro, so I expect I will be fighting that battle soon also.
Sofla David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #466
Gudd

LOL!!

Too late. I just today replaced my display link dock (Dell D3100) with USB-C to DisplayPort cables and the USB hub built into the Dell monitors.

Too bad it took so many months to fix.

[EDIT] Actually, reading back through, it's only fixed on 10.14 Beta and since I have work to do I can't install beta's on this machine anyway, so glad I ditched the DL dock. If I'm honest, two USB cables is tidier than a USB-C to USB-A adapter, a dock, a power supply etc. At least this way all of my cabling is hidden away behind the monitors and very tidy.

Last edited by Gudd; 08-01-2018 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
Gudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #467
smithgcovert2

I feel like one thing missing from this discussion of it now working with the Mac OS X 10.14 beta:

--- Its the DisplayLink Beta 5 (released 1 1/2 months ago) that is now working in 10.14 ---

That means that DisplayLink has had their side done for a while, and it required Apple to do their side to make it all work again.

It also means that Apple could backport those fixes to 10.13 and make it work as well, but they probably have no interest in it.

I totally get all of the complaining that the hardware stopped working, and the complaints about the fix being slow, but I appreciate whatever must have had to happen behind the scenes to get Apple to do their part.

Cheers,
Greg
smithgcovert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #468
tmee123

This fix (https://support.displaylink.com/know...ys-on-mac-os-x) is still not working for me. I'm running 10.13.6 and Airplay does not automatically pop up when my monitor is plugged into my computer.

Yes, I have done Step 3 (enable Airplay to pop up in menubar) and my monitor is clearly on (but black).

Help?
tmee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:37 AM   #469
Sofla David

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgcovert2 View Post
I feel like one thing missing from this discussion of it now working with the Mac OS X 10.14 beta:

--- Its the DisplayLink Beta 5 (released 1 1/2 months ago) that is now working in 10.14 ---

That means that DisplayLink has had their side done for a while, and it required Apple to do their side to make it all work again.

It also means that Apple could backport those fixes to 10.13 and make it work as well, but they probably have no interest in it.

I totally get all of the complaining that the hardware stopped working, and the complaints about the fix being slow, but I appreciate whatever must have had to happen behind the scenes to get Apple to do their part.

Cheers,
Greg
Displaylink said this from Day one:

"DisplayLink has committed significant resources to finding a way to restore extended mode display support in a future release of macOS"

That meant Displaylink KNEW they would not be able to do it with the current version, and had to wait for Apple to make a change on their side.

But a lot of people were too angry to understand that.

Apple Operating systems are very limited in what they let outside developers do. Once they close a door, Developers cannot always find "another way in" to perform the same task. Many applications and hardware devices have "died" because Apple (and Microsoft too) have moved on from a technology or closed a door to the OS. Displaylink could have been one more corpse on the pile. I think we should consider ourselves lucky.

I'm honestly surprised they cared enough to go through the trouble of opening another door for a third party vendor. They must have received a good amount of complaints and pushback from the users and maybe even seen users moving away from MACs because of the issue. While there are other limited options for additional monitors on desktops, there are almost no alternatives for portable monitors for those of us who travel that do not use display link.

I will be surprised if they port the changes back to 10.13. They really have no incentive to do that. Wy waste development resources on an OS you are trying to phase out? The Mojave release is right around the corner, and they WANT you to upgrade to Mojave as soon as it comes out. and if you own a computer that is too old for Mojave, they WANT you to upgrade. WIN-WIN for them.

Last edited by Sofla David; 08-04-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Sofla David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #470
Gudd

A HUGE amount of assumptions going on in this thread!!

Only Display Link and Apple know what has really gone on and continues to go on. The public will probably never know what has really gone on (and why should we? it's not really much of our business), even if one of the involved parties says, we'll still only ever know what they want us to know which may or may not be what has actually happened behind the scenes.

Marketing!
Gudd is offline   Reply With Quote