Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
wdbacker

Default Bluescreens during video playback + screen sharing with Skype

I have a very annoying problem with DisplayLink USB docking stations with my Dell Vostro 3750 notebook. During playback of video (from YouTube), I get bluescreens on very regular basis. I've been debugging this problem for a long time and finally I managed to get a crash dump from my pc which points to the usb audio driver of the DisplayLink chip (see attachments).

Last week, I tried to share my screen in Skype with a colleague and my pc nearly immediately crashed once you start sharing the screen. This is the easiest way I've found until now to reproduce the problem.

The docking station currently used is the Toshiba Dynadock 3, but I got the same kind of problems in the past with a Fujitsu USB port replicator PR07. So I think the prblem is not related to the OEM implementation, but seems to be a general problem with the DisplayLink chipset.

You will find a crash dump pointing to the dlusbaudio_x64.sys driver. You will notice a lot more system crashes which are pointing to ntoskrnl.exe, but which also occurred during playback of video through the Displaylink docking station. Without the docking station connected (working on my notebook screen), I never experience any bluescreens at all.

In addition, I gathered the DisplayLink logs (see attached zip file):
- the issue occurs on regular basis during video playback on a website
- the issue occurs nearly immediately when I share my screen in Skype (easiest way to reproduce the problem)
- only way to recover is shutdown of pc + power on again
- the issue was also present in older versions of the DisplayLink software
- the dynadock 3 is connected directly to the notebook (on one of the USB 3 ports)

P.S.: I couldn't file this problem report through your website support page, I got a database error:
<< Fetching data from the database failed
Got error 'parentheses not balanced' from regexp
Query: SELECT id, f_subject FROM faq_item WHERE FALSE OR LCASE(f_keywords) REGEXP "[[:<:]]hi, i[[:>:]]" OR LCASE(f_keywords) ... >>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140401_152046.jpg (89.4 KB, 4 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip PC0-27_20140402_093232.zip (1.23 MB, 3 views)
wdbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
wdbacker

Default Same issues with latest V7.5M2

I have the latest DisplayLink drivers up and running for a week now, but still experiencing system crashes (bluescreens).

Any news on this issue?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Wim

Could you try the V7.6 Alpha, which includes a new audio driver with a fix for a deadlock on some systems, which may also fix this BSOD:

http://displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=112

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
wdbacker

Thanks Wim for the suggestion, I've installed 7.6 alpha now, I'll let you know my findings!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
wdbacker

I just experienced a new system crash using the latest v7.6 alpha release. This time I got a "system service exception". I included the files created by the DisplayLink Support Tool and also a crash report.

The system crash occurred again during video playback.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PC0-27_20140409_140434.zip (1.85 MB, 0 views)
File Type: zip SystemCrash.zip (20.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by wdbacker; 04-09-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Tags
bluescreen, skype, video, youtube