Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 05-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #231
pattie

Default About to give up

... and buy a new monitor to replace the monitor I bought less than 3 months ago 😡
pattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #232
Poly

Smash your external monitors, problem fixed!
Old 05-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #233
State_from_Jake_Farm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

Smash your external monitors, problem fixed!
It worked! Thank you
State_from_Jake_Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #234
wadib

Default Waiting Waiting Waiting

Waiting for new display
Thanks
wadib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:26 AM   #235
John Williams

Default Thanks DisplayLink f*&@k Apple

Seriously the fanboi is strong on this thread.

According to most people here, Apple has no accountability for its changes, it can do what it wants and then we can rant at other software houses at any breaking changes. Sorry guys that's not how software development works unless your a maverick.

Displaylink compatibility is not a feature, its a core expectation of users including me. We are not comparing DisplayLink to a breaking change in a computer game. The footprint of DisplayLink across enterprise and small shops is massive. What the heck is Apple's testing procedure? Absolutely nothing beyond their own blinkered view of the world.

Yes DisplayLink have had 30 days preview of this and they should have been quicker to the draw explaining there are some serious breaking changes here, but what do we get from Apple, nothing, no response, a nonchalant shrug of the shoulders.

Sadly I have to use Apple for some development work but these guys treat their customers like dirt, problem is people seem to enjoy it.

To the DisplayLink devs keep up the work, I know what its like working on something in a pressure cooker environment, especially when you are supposed to magic a solution from a problem that didn't exist. Apple do not play a team game, history shows that.
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #236
paulgee31

Totally agree, I've seen too many comments that make the assumption this is some minor issue that DisplayLink have been dragging their heels on.

This is clearly a breaking change, which has a fundamental impact at an architectural level. DisplayLink are not alone in their products no longer working:

In an email to Air Display users, Avatron wrote:

"We’re sorry to say that the Air Display Host software does not yet work on macOS 10.13.4. This new version of macOS has made some bold changes to its WindowServer and Metal frameworks, and unfortunately has broken the Air Display Host, as well as all of our competitors. The breakage is severe; it causes an inelegant system crash when you try to connect to any unaccelerated display or USB monitor. We have reported the bug to Apple and are hoping for a fix in macOS 10.13.5.

Until Apple issues a fix, we do not advise updating to macOS 10.13.4. Of course Air Display continues to work fine on 10.13.3."

Hopefully with enough pressure from the industry and the continued efforts of DisplayLink we will have a permanent solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
Seriously the fanboi is strong on this thread.

According to most people here, Apple has no accountability for its changes, it can do what it wants and then we can rant at other software houses at any breaking changes. Sorry guys that's not how software development works unless your a maverick.

Displaylink compatibility is not a feature, its a core expectation of users including me. We are not comparing DisplayLink to a breaking change in a computer game. The footprint of DisplayLink across enterprise and small shops is massive. What the heck is Apple's testing procedure? Absolutely nothing beyond their own blinkered view of the world.

Yes DisplayLink have had 30 days preview of this and they should have been quicker to the draw explaining there are some serious breaking changes here, but what do we get from Apple, nothing, no response, a nonchalant shrug of the shoulders.

Sadly I have to use Apple for some development work but these guys treat their customers like dirt, problem is people seem to enjoy it.

To the DisplayLink devs keep up the work, I know what its like working on something in a pressure cooker environment, especially when you are supposed to magic a solution from a problem that didn't exist. Apple do not play a team game, history shows that.
paulgee31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #237
slvrscoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgee31 View Post
Totally agree, I've seen too many comments that make the assumption this is some minor issue that DisplayLink have been dragging their heels on.

This is clearly a breaking change, which has a fundamental impact at an architectural level. DisplayLink are not alone in their products no longer working:

In an email to Air Display users, Avatron wrote:

"We’re sorry to say that the Air Display Host software does not yet work on macOS 10.13.4. This new version of macOS has made some bold changes to its WindowServer and Metal frameworks, and unfortunately has broken the Air Display Host, as well as all of our competitors. The breakage is severe; it causes an inelegant system crash when you try to connect to any unaccelerated display or USB monitor. We have reported the bug to Apple and are hoping for a fix in macOS 10.13.5.

Until Apple issues a fix, we do not advise updating to macOS 10.13.4. Of course Air Display continues to work fine on 10.13.3."

Hopefully with enough pressure from the industry and the continued efforts of DisplayLink we will have a permanent solution.
Same over at Duet, they still recommend sticking to 13.3 for now.
"*We recommend staying on macOS 10.13.3*

Installing macOS release Version 10.13.4 will cause Duet Display stop functioning after the OS upgrade. We have alerted Apple to this issue and are working hard to find a resolution. These features continue to work as expected in 10.13.3.

We would strongly recommend contacting Apple though their bug reporting (https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/). It will help have the bug prioritized if Apple is aware how many people are affected by this issue.

We are actively looking into workarounds so that duet is not affected by the macOS bug, and will keep you informed. Please e-mail us if you have any questions. Thank you for using duet."
slvrscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:43 PM   #238
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

We are aware that installing macOS version 10.13.4 will cause DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS upgrade, with the latest DisplayLink driver release 4.1 installed. Extended displays continue to work as expected in macOS 10.13.3, and we recommend that you stay on macOS 10.13.3 or earlier if you require this feature, and have not already upgraded. Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected.

Our team has made some solid progress towards finding a solution which would restore extended display support for multiple DisplayLink displays, in a future release of macOS, but we are unable to provide a timeframe or a date for release of this solution at this time.

Meanwhile, we have an interim solution which enables one extended USB display (up to 1080p) on macOS 10.13.4, using AirPlay®. Additional DisplayLink screens will be in cloned mode. DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 3 is available to download from our website today.

Please see the FAQ here on how to enable the DisplayLink AirPlay display for extend or mirror mode.

Thank you for your continued patience and we appreciate your feedback and support.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #239
toastido

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

We are aware that installing macOS version 10.13.4 will cause DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS upgrade, with the latest DisplayLink driver release 4.1 installed. Extended displays continue to work as expected in macOS 10.13.3, and we recommend that you stay on macOS 10.13.3 or earlier if you require this feature, and have not already upgraded. Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected.

Our team has made some solid progress towards finding a solution which would restore extended display support for multiple DisplayLink displays, in a future release of macOS, but we are unable to provide a timeframe or a date for release of this solution at this time.

Meanwhile, we have an interim solution which enables one extended USB display (up to 1080p) on macOS 10.13.4, using AirPlay®. Additional DisplayLink screens will be in cloned mode. DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 3 is available to download from our website today.

Please see the FAQ here on how to enable the DisplayLink AirPlay display for extend or mirror mode.

Thank you for your continued patience and we appreciate your feedback and support.

Can confirm this works in latest 10.3.5 beta as well. GG guys, great workaround! I can use my 3rd monitor again!

Now to wait for the permanent fix that doesn't have to use airport.
toastido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #240
strim

Default 4.3 beta 3 works as described, thank you

Good day,

I tried 4.3 beta 3 and confirm it works for me. I don't need anymore to keep my clam-shell open to mirror it to the monitor connected over DisplayLink. My 3rd monitor is 1920x1080, it works over DisplayLink AirPlay as described by the team. Thank you for the next step toward the solution.
strim is offline   Reply With Quote