Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #1
WiL

Arrow Screen Freezes after connecting

Hello,

I have the AOC E1659Fwu which will freeze after connecting (sometimes immediately sometimes after a minute). I have gotten the monitor replaced and have also gotten the Mac replaced (mid -2015 macbook Pro). I have tried connecting through usb 2.0 and 3.0 usb hubs. The Mac recognizes the monitor even while the screen is frozen (appears in the USB section in System Report). The PID is good. Problem persists in both El Capitan and Yosemite. Heres a link to what i mean by "freezing" {https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZOpC3RCgs}. Attached is also the diagnostic tool's report. Thanks for your help in advance!

*****SOLUTION*****
Contacted AOC support and asked for a brand new monitor; the new display now works perfectly indicating that it was a device problem and NOT the drivers!
Attached Files
File Type: zip WiLL’s MacBook Pro_20160608_174143.zip (5.87 MB, 1 views)

Last edited by WiL; 08-11-2016 at 05:00 PM.
WiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiL View Post
Hello,

I have the AOC E1659Fwu which will freeze after connecting (sometimes immediately sometimes after a minute). I have gotten the monitor replaced and have also gotten the Mac replaced (mid -2015 macbook Pro). I have tried connecting through usb 2.0 and 3.0 usb hubs. The Mac recognizes the monitor even while the screen is frozen (appears in the USB section in System Report). The PID is good. Problem persists in both El Capitan and Yosemite. Heres a link to what i mean by "freezing" {https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZOpC3RCgs}. Attached is also the diagnostic tool's report. Thanks for your help in advance!
Hi Wil,

I've looked at the logs and from the driver side at some point the USB device is no longer reachable.
On the device side it's difficult to tell, nothing seems wrong up to the point of the disconnection.
Usually this kind of issue can be a hardware problem or a firmware problem in the device.

Since you have already tried a variety of hardware changes it may be a firmware problem, however we cannot debug this situation without reproducing in our lab. We'll try.
What do you need to do to recover from this issue?
Is there anything that specifically triggers this issue or makes it happen more often?

Kind regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
WiL

To stop the freezing i need to unplug the usb cable from the mac (turning off the display). I then replug and the same problem occurs. Although after plugging the display in it eventually freezes, I noticed that changing the 'color' settings in the system preference display settings will make the display freeze almost immediately and unplugging/replugging will still result in instant freezing until the settings are changed back to the default settings using 'gather windows'. Appreciate the help!
-will
WiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
mydog333

Same issue here. Different USB cables and USB ports do not improve the situation.

Anything where the display is changing quickly will cause it. It will be fine for days at a time, but rest assured, as soon as I start tailing a log full screen, it will freeze. For me it seems to be directly related to the device or drivers doing a lot of work. I've attached my logs too if that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Macbook_pro_Eric_8_3_2016.zip (7.37 MB, 1 views)
mydog333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydog333 View Post
Same issue here. Different USB cables and USB ports do not improve the situation.

Anything where the display is changing quickly will cause it. It will be fine for days at a time, but rest assured, as soon as I start tailing a log full screen, it will freeze. For me it seems to be directly related to the device or drivers doing a lot of work. I've attached my logs too if that helps.
Hi my dog,

Your logs show USB issues. This happening when there is more screen activity makes me think it's a power issue (the device uses less power if there is no activity).
Your product seem to be a DisplayPort adapter, which is probably bus powered. Try connecting it to a powered hub.
If that still does not work, I'd investigate the behaviour when the device is cold and when is hot (after 5-10 minutes of intense use). If there is a difference it's likely a problem with the power circuitry in the device rather than a power supply issue.

Cheers,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote