Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Gudd

Default 10.13.6, 1 x Air Display + USB HDMI?

I really need to go above 10.13.3. I have an eGPU at home and a DisplayLink setup at work. The eGPU is pretty painful on 10.13.3 although it does work OK.

I was just wondering if I used the beta fudged drivers that use Air Display for 1 external screen, if I were to add a second screen via a USB->HDMI adapter that I have plugged in to one of the USB3 ports of the DisplayLink, would this give me my second external screen? I don't want to have to downgrade again so would prefer not to just try it!

If required I suppose I could use a USB-C to USB-A on the MBP and then the HDMI adapter. That's really messy but if it would work then it's a cheaper option than a TB3 dock.

Any ideas?
Gudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
Gudd

Just to answer my own question, I think I've found a solution!

I have upgraded to 10.13.6 (took a full backup first) and the eGPU is working lovely now.

I installed the 4.3b5 DisplayLink driver and I can now use the internal screen plus 1 over Airplay (seems fine so far, but haven't used it much yet).

My USB->HDMI adapter only works in clone mode with MacOS - probably explains why it was in the bottom of my laptop bag, but I have a USB-C to Mini Display Port adapter I've been using for ages and that works fine. It gives me two external screens and the internal screen. All in extended mode.

It's a bit like dongle heaven with all these cables sticking out but at least it works and means I can continue to use the D3100 dock for now. It's not the triple screen setup that I always used to use but thats been so troublesome over the years I had pretty much resolved to go down to two external screens anyway.

I just need to go and make sure that the DisplayLink driver doesn't interfere in any way with Apples eGPU setup.

Forgot to add the adapter link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benfei-Disp.../dp/B06W53PXRB

It's not flawless, sometimes I have to connect it a few times before the monitor wakes up but once it's away it works great. I suspect you could just use a USB-C to DP cable instead?

Last edited by Gudd; 07-24-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added link
Gudd is offline   Reply With Quote