Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 09-26-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
e4dorla

Default Late 2009 iMac i7 Which DisplayLink Adapter?

Greetings,

I have a late 2009 iMac i7 with the ATI Radeon 4850 display adapter running Snow Leopard. I'm currently connecting a Dell E248WFP (1920x1200) to the built-in mini DisplayPort on the iMac.

I have four Dell E198WFP (1440x900) left over from an old PC and I'd like to connect them to my iMac using four DisplayLink Adapters.

Can any one out there provide some advice on the best DisplayLink adapter to use?

Questions:

1.) I have read that Macs with Nvidia based video cards are having problems in OS X Lion. Have ATI Radeon based Macs had any trouble?

2.) The DL-125 supports 1440x900. Does the DL-165 or DL-195?

3.) The DL-165 and DL-195 have Dual Core Decode Engines and the DL-125 does not. Is there a performance increase by having the 165/195 over the 125?

4.) I'm planning on connecting the four DisplayLink adapters using a Belkin USB 2.0 hub and then running the hub to one of the built-in ports on the iMac. Is this a good idea?

5.) Would it be better from a performance standpoint to connect each of the DisplayLink adapters to the built-in USB ports on the back of the iMac?

6.) I have seen DL-165s for sale on eBay from China. While the ad states "DL-165" they don't state "DisplayLink" anywhere in the auction ad. They are currently going for $38.00+shipping. Are these to be avoided?

7.) I know it seems like overkill to have 6 monitors connected to one Mac, but Expose and Spaces is driving me nuts in Snow Leopard with all the screen flipping when using two monitors. I miss not being able to dedicate the smaller 19-inch monitors to email, calendar, iTunes, etc. From the reading I've done, it seems that the DisplayLink adapters work better under Windows than the Mac. If all I'm planning on doing is using them for email, calendar, and iTunes, I should be fine, right? I'll use the iMac display and the Dell E248WFP with the mini DisplayPort to do the heavy lifting for Photoshop, Aperture, surfing the web, YouTube, etc.

Thank you,

Derrick
Jacksonville, Florida

Last edited by e4dorla; 09-26-2011 at 02:59 AM.
e4dorla is offline   Reply With Quote